Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comparo- Taccom Double Deuces, Invictus 12Q (wordy)

Hi all- Just wanted to do a consumer's comparison of these two competitors, without a personal dog in the fight. I will relay my entire experience so far, from the beginning.

Background-

I have been shooting Open Division exclusively for the last couple years, and my primary shotgun has a speed loader funnel. Ergo, no need for shell holders. My son, who is 12, has shot 20ga until this summer, when he finally stepped up to 12ga. This coincided with me improving in 3GN club matches partway through the summer as high as 5th overall ranking in Open. I decided (prior to health problems that have eaten up the last few months) to get back into Tac-Optics so I can possibly make a run at Pro qualifiers in the upcoming year. So, time to step up to modern gear. When I last shot TacOps, I had some Taccom Quaload 4ups, 8ups, and AP Customs caddies. After looking at what is currently available, I decided to try some newer gear, which I can share with my son. Here is how it went-

Taccom-

I called them on the phone, and Tim answered. We B.S.ed for a few minutes, and I ordered the Double Deuces. I was interested in the angled grab and the release shape on the hooks, and wanted to try them out. He told me they were assembling orders, and he couldn't guarantee that they would go out that day. No biggie, it was mid-afternoon. I also ordered some Buffer components for my AR to test, as a result of our BS session.

Invictus Practical-

After getting off the phone with Taccom, I Googled the website. Couldn't find a phone number, only a contact form for a return email. Well, that is OK, I kinda know what I want to try. I will just order off the website, no need to take up their time on the phone. I looked at various designs, and decided I wanted one with spaces between the quad stacks, as opposed to the "8plate", with all 4 shell stacks touching. Site took a minor amount of poking around to find exactly what I want, but not bad at all. Placed the order online with minimal fuss.

By now it is late afternoon ( I had to actually do a little work in the middle of all this! :) ). I get an email from Kevin at Invictus, thanking me for my order, and informing me it will ship tomorrow.

Advantage: Neither. Easy ordering from both companies.

Skip Forward-

2 days later, both packages arrive together. Invictus has a card signed by Kevin, offering any help I may require. Excellent order to arrival time, better than ours in fact. Note to self- work on our shipping department!

I assemble both kits, mount to ELS clips, and start fiddling. Takes a little while to get back in the groove, as I haven't quad loaded in nearly a year. I adjust positions on the belt until holders feel natural. Specifics-

Taccom- accidentally assembled the second one backwards, as the end plates are reversible for right vs left hand use. Screws take some effort to drive into the Delrin, as threads are tight. No worries about these things loosening up during use! Other than my own carelessness on the second one, no issues. Easy to rotate on ELS brackets to get angle right.

Invictus Practical- Hmm. Looks like an erector set. Need to think about it before I just start bolting stuff together. Oh look, it has instructions! (to be fair, so did Taccom, but Taccom holders looked easy so I ignored them. Hence the backward bracket :) ) I assembled the 12Q so that all 12 shells were the same angle on the bracket, highest at one end, descending to the other end. Also bolted right on to ELS with no issues. I am a little wary that each of the 3 quad holders attaches to the main crossbar with only one screw. Looks like they may turn if I bump them, I will have to watch for that.

Advantage: None. Still even in my book.

In Use- Taccom holders seem to hold a little tighter, and the shells only come out if rocked forward at an angle (that was the intent of the angled hooks, and it does perform exactly as stated). Invictus holders release easier, but don't lose the rounds unintentionally. Tension is about perfect. I liked that the crossbar can be bent to follow the contour of the belt, and allow shells to be rocked out of the brackets in spite of them being parallel.

Advantage: Crap. Still no winner. Retention is better on Taccom, ease of grab slightly better on Invictus. So far, my worry about the Invictus brackets rotating are proving unfounded.

CONCLUSION- From start to finish, class act from both companies. Both produce top quality gear, have great customer service, and sell stuff that actually works. I know it seems like a cop-out to not declare a winner, but honestly I feel that with practice either will allow me to load as fast as I am capable of. They are different, and each has unique features that may make one or the other a winner in your book. My son is also quad-loading now, in spite of somewhat small hands. He can load equally well with both, and we keep trading back and forth at club matches trying to pick a setup. I am running 8round loads (shoulder to shoulder) in 4.5 seconds, and my son is under 6. No measurable time advantage with either setup.

Highlights-

Invictus Practical 12Q:

UBER-adjustable. You can mount these things pretty much any way possible.

Easy snatch-and-grab, perfect amount of tension

Taccom Double Deuces:

Rigid mounting system, very sturdy assembly

Very good retention, without being difficult to grab out. Feels natural to roll stacks out at an angle.

MANY THANKS TO BOTH TIM AND KEVIN! I AM ABSOLUTELY SATISFIED WITH BOTH YOUR PRODUCTS, AND WOULD NOT HESITATE TO RECOMMEND WHICHEVER SUITS A PARTICULAR SHOOTER'S TASTE. YOUR SUPPORT OF OUR SPORT AND INNOVATION ARE MUCH APPRECIATED, AND I WILL BE ORDERING MANY MORE PRODUCTS FROM BOTH OF YOU FOR YEARS TO COME!

Tom

I was just digging around the discussion forums, trying to best outfit my wife for shotgun. I'm welded to weak-hand loading myself for a variety of reasons, but thought I would set her up with something more friendly for her than my shell caddies and a side-saddle. The Taccom Duaload 6UP with Tek-Lok was what I had pretty much settled on. We tried some 'off the table' grabs and I don't think quads are 'on the table' quite yet. The Taccom is inexpensive enough to gamble on and I figured worst case scenario I get another Tek-Lok if they don't work out.

:devil:

Got a few 12Q's of my own delivered last night. I also got a hand written card from Kevin. It is great to see an American business with that kind of customer focus. It is a very rare thing now days. Shipping was rocket fast too. Can't wait to test them out.

I just got three dueling duces with their black friday sale, the shipping was super fast. I got the Tec locks from Midway, always fast shipping.

My problem with the dueling duces was the screw holes were not deep enough on the bottom clips. I had to drill the holes deeper to get them tight.

This is my first go with shot shell holders and in my opinion they hold the shells a little too tight. I can grab two easily but grabbing four is kinda hard to keep them oriented correctly when they come off because I have too pull so hard. Don't think I'm a weakling or anything, I can do more 4 finger or one handed pull ups or chin ups than anyone.

I'm leaving shells in them and hoping they will loosen up. If not I may sand them open a little.

Other than that they position the shells exactly where I think I want them on my belt and ergonomicly should be exactly what I want.

Edited by louu

Here's a picture of 2 IP 2.8 on my belt. I moved the left side shell holder clips to the next hole to the right. Feels more secure.

post-14685-0-98360000-1418354152_thumb.j

I like the angle adjustability and being able to move the shell clips a little closer together (and that is adjustable in micro amounts as well) on the IP.

That said, all Taccom gear is excellent and easy to get really good grip on the four shells for quads, with Qualloads. I think it is personal preference, because all hands are different.

Only have the TACCOM, no Invictus products.

Thought it was only me, finding the shell tension a bit too tight. Leaving shells in over a couple of days, no change. Spoke with Tim, super nice guy, who suggested very light sanding, did that, using a shell as backing for the sandpaper, working only on the end plate holding the shell rims, 4-5 passes of the 320 sandpaper and its now easier to pop shells out, yet tension is tight enough.

Went with TACCOM based on simplicity and rave reviews on BE, as well as price.

I just got three dueling duces with their black friday sale, the shipping was super fast. I got the Tec locks from Midway, always fast shipping.

My problem with the dueling duces was the screw holes were not deep enough on the bottom clips. I had to drill the holes deeper to get them tight.

This is my first go with shot shell holders and in my opinion they hold the shells a little too tight. I can grab two easily but grabbing four is kinda hard to keep them oriented correctly when they come off because I have too pull so hard. Don't think I'm a weakling or anything, I can do more 4 finger or one handed pull ups or chin ups than anyone.

I'm leaving shells in them and hoping they will loosen up. If not I may sand them open a little.

Other than that they position the shells exactly where I think I want them on my belt and ergonomicly should be exactly what I want.

I got a message from Tim this morning to give him a call.

I didn't really know anything about Taccom or Tim and I had no idea he was on this board.

Let me tell you, Tim is a class act all the way and Taccom has a customer for life.

He is sending me out new caddies and told me to keep the ones I already have.

He said the new ones will be better because they will have the right amount of tension so the shells will come off easier and the screws will fit.

I have had a lot of hobbies over the years motocross, RC airplanes, street bikes and I'm just use to having to fix or mod everything I buy for that stuff because almost every manufacture does not do anything for you if you don't like something or it is not made right.

This is not the case in the shooting community, everyone is so helpful I really cant believe it.