Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fitting Thin/RAMI Safeties on CZC Accushadow

accu9

I have read through just about every post on Benos and the CZfirearms forums in regards to fitting the Thin safeties to an SP-01 Shadow.

I have a pretty good idea on the fitting process, but I am unclear on what tools to use. The consensus seems to be a small file set (Hobby files) and/ or fine grit sandpaper. What grit do you all recommend?

I would greatly appreciate any advice as I don't want to mess this up!

post-56889-0-01622200-1418232957_thumb.j

My thin safety only required filing the flat pad / sanding the round just enough that the right lever will slide on firmly. A light pass at a time. And maybe clamp other piece enough so that you can keep the flat square/level to other side, and so fitting the paddle goes on identical to the fixed piece.

... if you go fast its possible to get the right side to fit, but when you install to the slide you find lever doesn't sit parallel to slide (cocked one way or another up/down/away from slide)

I'm not a gunsmith, so take the answer with that in mind

- grit was more like 400 or something on sandpaper, using to take material off for fit. 1000 would polish it, not remove much material, you could do that after filing or sanding.

- if you clamp the left leg of the safety in a vice with soft jaws / leather, etc, that can hold the piece stable for you. Alternately you can clamp the file and move the piece across it. Main thing is trying to apply even pressure across face of the flat so it it stays parallel to centerline of shaft and keeping the flat at the same angle, not more pressure outward or forward which can change seated position to be more forward or outward.

Just saying that was what I did, would love to hear if better way for home non-gunsmith to tackle

Edited by trgt

I have done 2 sets just a hobby file from home depot but go slow. I had to remove a little from the end of the shaft to fit the D in the right side safety and had to remove a little from the sear engagement pad. Like everything goes in gunsmithing the second set I did turned out better than the first one. If you have any questions ask before you remove any extra material. I did not use vice or anything just did it by hand.

post-56889-0-97773200-1418654558_thumb.jFitted the safeties this weekend, only took about an hour and that was because I was really taking my time. I used a hobby file and then some 1000 grit to smooth/ polish the filing marks. I guess I got lucky because I only had to fit the D leg to the RHS of the safety, the Sear engagement pad fit well on it's own.

I shot a match over the weekend and absolutely love the new feel to the gun. I encourage anyone who is considering the thin safeties to go for it. By the way, CZ-USA has them in stock right now.

3rd photo is the accushadow next to a para pro custom 18.9 that I picked up from my FFL on Friday. Bought it for 3-gun next season, we will see how she runs...

post-56889-0-77459800-1418654568_thumb.j

post-56889-0-79074400-1418654581_thumb.j