Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bomar sliding around...

dirtypool40

In an offshoot of the "Snake Bit" gun thread, we add this:

Yesterday they finally reopened our range. I went right back to work, starting with accuracy, and groups from 5-35 yards. While my skill shad degreaded some, point of aim had noticably shifted, to the left.

Hmmm.

When I checked the rear site it was loose int eh dovetail, held roughly in place by the adjustment screw. Under recoil it tourques off to the left.

How do I fix this? I was thinking unscrew the thing all the way and get some lok-tite into the dovetail.

Who else has this happened to and how'd you cope?

How do I fix this?

Weld up the dovetail in the slide and re-cut it for a fixed sight. Or fit a new slide.

As a band-aid, remove the sight and clean it and the dovetail. Apply LocTite and reassemble. You should have a small set screw that helps hold the sight to the slide. I'm not sure if you need a corresponding dimple in the slide for the set screw; maybe with an extremely loose sight.

No offense if you installed it yourself, but if you did not, have a "Good" gunsmith reinstall it....and do the initial install the next time you build one..

I have been reading Eric's amusing tales of breaking Bomar sights left and right for several years now...

The only thing I can say is that I have had my smith build me over a dozen pistols with Bomar sights on them over the years and have fired over one million rounds through those pistols without a single problem with the Bomar sights...what it boils down to is having a pistolsmith install the sight who can do quality work....as I hold up my pistol to the light, I cannot see any daylight under the sight (a testament to fitting it correctly in the cut), and with ordinary care, the original sight should last you for the life of the pistol....

My .02 worth.... ;)

Well, I pull it out, clean everything with alchohol and re-installed it.

Yes the best gunsmith in the world built the gun and originally installed the site.

When I re-installed it I used some red lok-tite, and counted clicks to get it back in roughly zeroed position. The hammer would not pass under the rear blade. I'll fiddle with it some more but for now it seem to hold zero, although I am still a little frustrated.