Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you settle or do you experiment?

rowdyb

Given that I just started reloading, I've picked a bullet that is inexpensive to me and am testing out different powders and charge weights to see what feels and works best for me. Once I find that combination, I'll most likely use the other powders for practice until I use them up and then just use the single powder as someone else mentioned... Set it and forget it.

(What's the point in having a progressive press if you are always changing things up and needing to reset everything? You just wind up spending the time you wanted to save by buying the progressive.)

• 2 weeks later...

Titegroup for 9 was suggested years back. I purchased kegs when it was $110 or less. Then i started loading 38/357 & 45. In comes the H110. Then i had better results using unique for 38spl w/ hornady 158 xtp's out of the lever. SO i've bartered for unique, then bullseye, i have a few lbs sitting in tins, will get some range time once it gets warmer / spring.

You cannot have enough componnent wise to get comfortable. Especially when stores have TG one day then Unique, H335, H110 or bulleseye the next.

For rifle X-terminator, TAC or 2230 has performed well enough to buy / backorder and wait.

But back to the OP's question. Once i find a load that works, it's a done deal. Having the option to use other powders & bullets on hand is one of the benefits of reloading vs. complaining there's no ammo on the shelves / in stock.

I'll end up settling and experimenting and pushing the limits depending on the day year month and my state of mind.

As different components come out, like bullets for self defense I'll start messing around with components and powders while at the same time running certain loads the same over and over.