Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli Jams!

amccallister

I'm about to start pulling my hair out. My M1 is having intermittent issues, pretty much never in practice but sometimes multiple times in a stage at major matches. The shell is coming out of the mag tube, but when it feeds it gets hung up between the bolt face and the front of the ejection port. Initially I thought it was the standard ejector cutout jam but it's not. The rim of the shell is actually jumping the extractor. I simulated the jam in the attached picture, maybe not perfectly but very similar. The gun does have a TTI lifter. Any ideas of things to try/ modify/ replace would be appreciated.

post-38966-0-57333700-1417050812_thumb.j

I didn't shoot it much before the mods were done. It has the full TTI package. It ran great in practice when I first got it back (a few hundred rounds) but choked on the first stage of Blue Ridge (I gave up on it immediately), ran in practice again, and then jammed probably 5 or 6 times during an 11 stage all shotgun match.

How many round since you last changed the magazine spring? And how much longer than the tube is that spring now?

Is the oversized bolt release button contacting the side of the reciever?

I usually change the mag spring about a week before every big match. I don't cut the spring (12 round tube). It is currently about 16" longer than the tube. Button is not contacting, not even close.

Two things. Nose of the lifter MAY need to be bent down just a bit more.... hard to say not in hand. 2 for sure you need a new lifter spring. Mag springings wont do that malfunction.

Just ordered a spring from Brownells, but it's backordered. I'm gonna pull the spring out of my Versamax (which is actually a Benelli spring) and see if I can make it jam.

Springings???? Wow aren't we all professionals here? Must have been one of the clones! :). Where is that control F guy to help out??? He is real keen on this kind of thing. Why I'm told he can cure any Benelli problem with a cntrl alt dlt!!!!

Almost all M1s had a marginal lifter spring at best. Change a little geometry of the lifter or the weight and intermittent trouble can arise. It sure looks like your lifter is slow, if your recreation picture is correct.

Another VERY strange occurrance could be that the extractor roll pin has drifted down over the years (happens on high round count guns) and is allowing the extractor to wobble and bind and hop on loading. I make sure to drift this roll pin in at least once a year on ALL Benelli!

All good advice from the experts. I think I handle my gun sharper and more violently in a match than practice, which has been causing some issues with the 12 round tube. Nordic. On 21" gun. I bet you can make it happen in practice if you do like you do in a match. Put the original lifter back in and if that works I am sure Taran will exchange one out. I'm going to 10+1 tube.

After considering what Kurt said about the lifter being slow, and talking to Taran, I discovered that the lifter was contacting/ dragging on a corner of the trigger group.

I disassembled the trigger group and filed/polished the corner until it no longer contacts. I took it out today and ran a flat of Remington Gun Club and 50 Extra Light AA's (1 Oz. 1180 fps) and it ran like a Benelli is supposed to, no hangups of any kind.

I am pretty positive the problem is resolved, and was caused by the lifter getting hung up on that corner. I'm very impressed by TTI's customer service (they offered to take the gun back and look at it or send a new trigger group) and I appreciate the input on here (thanks Kurt!)

Attached picture shows the place I filed and polished,if you look at the trigger group from buttstock end it's the forward right corner (left side in the picture).post-38966-0-33219700-1417567444_thumb.j

Just spoke with ammcallister and got this resolved. I encourage anyone who will read this thread looking for a fix in the future to either apply the mod that Kurt and Amccallister devised, or give us a call at the shop at 805-522-1911. Seems to be a specific issue with M1 trigger groups casting, thought we'll have the smith take a look at it when he's in.

This is why we love Enos forum!

• 4 weeks later...