Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 loads with Xtreme 55gr FMJBTs

rtp

I've seen various posts from a handful of generally respected posters with a mixture of opinions on these bullets, but couldn't resist stocking up some when they'd go on sale, along with their 124gr RNs, which I've had pretty good success with (not so much their 124gr HPs, OK accuracy, but not better than the RNs, just more $).

Early on, I did some quick comparisons to Hornady bulk 55gr FMJBT, as more or less the 'standard' bulk load .223 bullet. The Xtremes were actually slightly less variable in weight (random sample of 10-12 of each), and pretty much don't need to change up my dies to load to mid-cannelure. Their profile is slightly different, a bit fatter towards the head. In all respects, they look to be of good quality, down to the base of the bullet, even lead distribution on the bottom, etc.

Seeing that, I'd just gone to my my 'go to' load of 24.5gr of TAC, Hornady FMJBT or SP, and loaded some up on occasion, but mostly have been loading and shooting Hornady's.

Recently, I've been playing around with some SMK 69s, as well as wanting to test some 8208XBR loads. I added a number of Xtremes intentionally into the mix after seeing my pattern on target at 300 yards looking like a shotgun, while I've got few issues hitting plates@300 with my 'standard' load w/Hornady's. I also had a few hundred Winchester 55gr FMJBTs I'd picked up from a 'getting out of reloading' purchase off someone, and ~1K 'random' 55gr FMJBTs I'd picked up from Roze Distributing at some point.

The rifle isn't a JP precision rifle - I run my AUG for competitions, 16" 1:9 twist, but can shoot my go to load of Hornadys in 1-2" groups @100 (velocity ~2280FPS) most days without thought, which is perfectly fine for the rifle and for the bulk bullet in question.

I saw 24.5gr of XBR (instead dog TAC) made an OK enough load with the Hornadys, for a 2" group@100. I'm not necessarily 'done' as of yet with playing with loads there, but it's consistent and I wouldn't feel terrible if I loaded 500-1K of those up to have ready to go.

By comparison, I was seeing a 3" group at 50 yards with 24.5gr of TAC with the Xtremes. I looked around to make sure no one was screwing with me with a shotgun ;) Those Roze dist 'random bulk' bullets were also giving 3"+ groups at 50 yards. At 200, the Xtremes really looked like a shotgun pattern, at 5"+ groups.

The best load of the day I got out of the Xtremes was with no crimp (they're cannelured, and I usually crimp any cannelured bullet), 24.2gr XBR, which managed to hold a 1.5-2" group at 100, but didn't load enough of them to test out to 200/200+.

The Winchester 55grs by comparison, were a bit larger groups vs the Hornady's, but consistent, maybe 1/2" larger across 50, 100, 200yards. If I came across a good deal on them in bulk (meaning cheaper than Hornady 6k bulk packs), I'd probably pick them up for backup at this point.

Short question - what have your best loads and groups been with the Xtreme 55gr FMJBTs, or are they truly dedicated to hoser stages only? I don't mind working up additional loads and testing, but so far these aren't terribly promising.

Edited by rtp

I was perplexed by the groups I got with the Extreme 55's. Diameter and weight were more consistent than Hornady FMJ's and quite frankly even some Sierra Match Kings. The groups at 100 were basically double than the Hornady bullets. This was out of an 8" twist barrel, I can't remember if I shot them out of a 7" off a rest, the higher rpm of the 7" barrel would likely yield larger groups. I have an older AR with a 9" twist barrel, that has always shot well, and I'll try the Extreme 55's in that gun to see if the slower twist helps. I don't think it will hurt at all.

From my experience, I'll use them for hoser matches or stages out to 100, beyond that, the Hornady 55 FMJ's will make me more comfortable out to 200. Beyond that V Max or Ballistic Tips are used.

Thanks, Dan - at least it seems I'm not insane, then. ;)

Let me know how your testing bears out. I'm going to do a bit more with some additional loads, and see where they wind up.

For a bullet that seems to be built as consistently or moreso vs the Hornady's, it sure doesn't seem (so far) to shoot with 'em.

I suppose I could keep a mag of them loaded up for short stages in the worst case..will see.

Anyone else try to get them shooting?

Edited by rtp

I will have some extremes here tomorrow. I just finished working up a new load with the hornadys using h335. Easily under an inch at 100. I will work up a load with the extremes and report back. If they dont perform they will go in the range bag for hoser stages. I am using the 18" nordic.

I use them. They are fine for the matches around here.

22g of H335 puts me around 2500fps and nets groups about 1" maybe a little larger. Whats odd is that my hornady projectiles group like absolute trash at 22g, but do well at 25g.

Ive also used 25g of xterminator which was throwing the 55g pretty fast, and gave good results as far as accuracy goes.

Koop and Packer - are you guys running them out beyond 100yd, or only for hoser and to 100?

With where I'm at with them at the moment, I guess I can use them for hoser stages, and full sized targets to 100yards, but don't see using them beyond, whereas I can use Hornady 55gr FMJ or SP out to ~300yards or more.

I do have some Xterminator as well as H335 on hand, could give that a try, I suppose.

Are you crimping or no crimp?

Koop and Packer - are you guys running them out beyond 100yd, or only for hoser and to 100?

With where I'm at with them at the moment, I guess I can use them for hoser stages, and full sized targets to 100yards, but don't see using them beyond, whereas I can use Hornady 55gr FMJ or SP out to ~300yards or more.

I do have some Xterminator as well as H335 on hand, could give that a try, I suppose.

Light crimp for me. We are mostly hoser stages with the occasional 100yd shots. I am not an expert, but do you think the barrel twist could have some play in the equation. My barrel is 1:8

i am using them out to 200yds....hit 10" gongs all day long....shooting limited.....Stag 3g stock with spitfire....

24.5gr H335.....oal 2.230"........I don't use the cannelure and barely crimp...

10" at 200 I can probably do with the XBR load, but by the same token, it doesn't mean the Xtremes are on par with the Hornadies, either.

Have you put any on paper at 100-200, especially back to back w/Hornadies?

Light crimp for me. We are mostly hoser stages with the occasional 100yd shots. I am not an expert, but do you think the barrel twist could have some play in the equation. My barrel is 1:8

1:8 and 1:9 will actually stabilize the 55grs better than the most common 1:7 twist. The primary purpose of the 1:7s was actually to stabilize the long-ass tracer rounds.

i am using them out to 200yds....hit 10" gongs all day long....shooting limited.....Stag 3g stock with spitfire....

24.5gr H335.....oal 2.230"........I don't use the cannelure and barely crimp...

10" at 200 I can probably do with the XBR load, but by the same token, it doesn't mean the Xtremes are on par with the Hornadies, either.

Have you put any on paper at 100-200, especially back to back w/Hornadies?

yea never loaded hornadys and shot side by side. I wouldnt know the difference. I will have to go shoot paper one of these days. Our matches rarely shoot past 100yds.

Took longer than I had planned. Was extremely busy last week plus had 15-20 mph winds on days I could have shot. Finally got around to my initial round of testing.

Shot a .863" 3 shot group at 100 yds. Going to load some more and do a few 5 rd groups and finalize my load. Will post group size and chrono results when I do. I also have my hornady's loaded up already and will shoot them side by side in the same conditions when I get the X-tremes done. :cheers:

Took longer than I had planned. Was extremely busy last week plus had 15-20 mph winds on days I could have shot. Finally got around to my initial round of testing.

Shot a .863" 3 shot group at 100 yds. Going to load some more and do a few 5 rd groups and finalize my load. Will post group size and chrono results when I do. I also have my hornady's loaded up already and will shoot them side by side in the same conditions when I get the X-tremes done. :cheers:

Definitely interested - those are better results than I've seen, so also interested in what powder and load, crimp vs no or minimal crimp you're using, as it seems there's still some better accuracy to possibly be found here. Also interested to see how they stack up vs the Tornadoes, and if you go out to 200+.

Hornady load is 24.9gr of H335 light crimp loaded at 2.225"

Xtreme load is 24.7gr of H335 light crimp loaded at 2.22"

My barrel seems to like the 24.7-24.9 range for all 55s I have tried. The privi's fell in that range as well but didnt group as well as the hornadys.

Hornady 55gr FMJs are my go to bullets. Heck, they are accurate enough for some to take as their major match ammo and swear by them with the right load ( I was the same way for a while). Xtremes are ok, but I'm getting 2-3MOA groups verses 1.5-2. I have not changed my load data on them. Same 25.5g H335 @ 2.225 with light crimp. Can they hit most steel flashers and larues, most certainly, but under match conditions, I want to keep my margin of error and small as possible. If I break a shot at the edge of the plate rather than dead center, I feel more comfortable with something tighter. But for bay/burner and local match work, they are OK for me.

To add some input to the Hornady 55 grn FMJ plus H-335 mix. I am new to rifle and rifle reloading. I got my AR in June and after getting used to it with factory ammo I did some research (including this board) and bought 1000 rds of Hornady 55 and H-335. I started at 23 grns, then 24.5 and then 25. I chronoed the 25 load between 3050 and 3100 fps. I'm using my AR mainly on 3 gun and USPSA rifle in New England. Because of the limited space in most gun clubs its rare that we get to shoot more than 200yrds. I easily passed the 200/300 yrd qualification at my home club. with my JP 18 inch 1/8 twist barrel I shot a 6 shot group within 2 inches. I am not a bullseye shooter as I am mainly shooting 3-gun silhouettes at 100 or 200 yrds. With this load from a resting position I was easily able to hit gong 5/5 shots at 200 yrds (1x4 leuopld scope). At 300 yrds once I figured out my hold I was able to hit a steel silhouette 4/6 times.

So as a newbe to this its seems like the Hornady 55 grn FMJ and H-335 at 25 grns is a pretty good mix, I don't see much reason to vary it for my purposes. Now if I can find a place to do some hog hunting down south that's another story.