Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aftec has no tension

dansedgli

I've been having some extraction problems so thought I would try and fit an Aftec.

I followed the instructions, put a radius on the fps but the extractor hook doesn't reach over enough to touch the case to put tension on it.

Even with the fps removed it doesn't get there under spring pressure.

It's an sti trubor in 38 super, not super comp. The extractor is for 38 super and I'm using 38 super cases.

Any advice?

Thanks

Dan.

Aftec extractors are very inconsistent even the same batch and caliber.

You have to file the body of the extractor facing the firing pin. Follow the radius on the body.

You may also have to file the head, where it fits the firing pin stop. Forward the FPS, file inside facing the firing pin.

I've fitted many AFTECs over the years with very little problems. However, I recently had a .45 AFTEC that I could not get tension on. Called Derek. He said to bend the AFTEC a little. He TXT'ed me these pictures below. It only required one or two light hits.

IMG_2772_zps34a082ca.jpg

IMG_3023_zpsc9586abd.jpg

Gave it a little tweak in the vice with a hammer and it seems to be working like it should now.

It's a bit tight with 2 springs but feeds perfect with 1. It will still cycle with 2 and it sounds like it takes a few mags for the springs to settle so I'll leave 2 in for now.

Hopefully I can give it a run tomorrow night. Fingers crossed all goes well.

I had to borrow an extractor yesterday to finish a steel challenge match.

I had one that I could get no tension on without lots of bending and filing in a 9mm. I finally bought another one and I think the first one was a 45 extractor in a 9mm bag. The second one went in with no fitting. Perfect.