Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

which c-more optic for an open gun?

krazykj03

Hello: Dot size depends on you. I would say start with an 8MOA dot and then decide whether you need a larger dot. I run 12MOA dots on my Open guns and a 16MOA on my steel guns. I am thinking of trying an 8MOA dot again. I found that a 6 would wash out in bright sun for me. Remember you can turn the dot down and look through it for those long tight shots. Turn it up to sunburn for hoser stages. Thanks, Eric

yep, you want a slide ride model.

my suggestions. for dot size on an open USPSA type gun 6 MOA or 8 MOA tend to be most popular. try one of those to start with.

as to which model slideride I'd suggest getting at least the click switch model not the basic switch model. they have been known to have a few problems and the click switch is much nicer to use.

as far as alluminium body vs plastic body I really don't know. cmores being plastic can have the zero wander a little. perhaps the alluminium body is better, but most people still run a plastic body version with click switch.

I have run both a plastic slide ride with the standard switch and an aluminum slide ride with the click switch on the same gun. I use a Quinn 3 sideways mount. I never had a problem with either model losing its zero...nor have I had any problems with either type of switch. The gun is a FGW full size open gun with 2 popple holes. I can go the whole match without having to wipe the lens. Originally the gun was black with a red magwell so I used a red bodied cmore. When I had the gun refinished in chameleon PVD I had to do away with the red sight. I had everything but the frame and slide refinished in TiAlN including the barrel and comp. The anodized finish on the aluminum cmore matches the TiAlN finish absolutely perfectly.

I have shot a few limcat open guns with the RTS on one of his frame mounts. While I do prefer the overall look of a gun with the smaller RTS, I still think the standard slide ride is the fastest and easiest to use optic out there. You could also ask Johnny Lim if he would sell you one of his custom shortened slide rides.

Forgot to mention...I use a 6 MOA dot. While the smaller dot is a nice size and great for longer shots, I would like to experiment with an 8 MOA dot. The smaller dot has a tendency to wash out in very bright sun. I use one of Limcat's aluminum glare shields, but it really doesn't make much of a difference (but it does look cool!) Also I would say 99% of the shots at our local matches are close enough that a bigger dot would not be a handicap at all.

Edited by Desmo412