Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie with expensive gun

askomiko

Hi, I'm thinking about this...

I am a total newbie in the sport, and I'm thinking about buying a gun. I have a basic CZ-75, but I crave for a new gun. I tried an old customized STI open gun, with all the gizmos, comp, hybrid barrel and oko sight, and it felt great. But I have a feeling that it would be insane for me to buy a 2000€ race gun right away. I wouldn't dare to bring it into practise or club match, since I'm a newbie. They'll just point at me and my gizmos and laugh after I shoot and can't hit anything...

So, should I go with CZ-75 or something, or invest into a $$$ gun.

Edit: I've shooting lazily for 10 years, a 100 rounds per year or so. And you have to get a license in order to buy a gun here, so I'd prefer to get the right one first time.

My advice would be to take your CZ to a few matches and shoot Production. While you are there, talk to the open shooters and ask to try their guns. Most shooters will help you out, if they know you're interested in buying a new gun. This way you will be able to shoot several variations of guns and optics and determine if you like Open and what type of gun/optic.

Ray

I am a huge CZ fan & I think the CZ-75B in .40 with minor 127 PF reloaded ammo is pretty close to the ultimate USPSA Production gun.

HOWEVER, you are obviously shooting IPSC, not USPSA, so the rules & gun selection are different.

For example, the .40 CZ is way down on mag capacity for Production division so you are better off with your 9mm CZ for Production division.

Here is why you should keep shooting the CZ:

1) In IPSC production, you have nearly as many rounds as the Standard division guns so you will shoot match stages nearly the same. I.E., you will get the same match experience without more expensive .40 ammo & without having to pay all those extra Euros (plus the huge licensing hassles in Europe) for a new gun. Only down side is minor vs. major scoring, but learning to earn max points by shooting minor & going for all/mostly As will certainly help you in the end.

2) At the last World shoot, a glock happened to come out on top thanks almost entirely to the huge talents of Mr. Sevigny. The next 5 finishers in Production shot a CZ or a clone of the CZ - all in 9mm. (Note - they used 9mm in Production because of the magazine capacity advantage). The numbers favor the CZ (unless you shoot as well as Dave - & no one has yet).

3) Move up in rank with that heavy Production trigger ( Production division in IPSC has a minimum 1st trigger pull weight of 2.27 kilograms) and when you later decide to replace the CZ with another pistol in another division, you will be well-practiced in a steady trigger squeeze - a technique that will help you win. Starting out with a light trigger turned me into a trigger slapper (bad habit I am working to break). Keep shooting & keep us informed of your progress. Best regards,

D.C. Johnson

TY-44934

Arlington, VA

www.shootersparadise.com

Terve Mikko.

I would spend all those Euros on ammo to the CZ the first year, buy a cheap holster on a good belt and mag pouches and shoot in Production division as much as possible with the CZ for a year.

I guess you will shoot more the first year than you have in the previous ten years, so ammo will cost..... and as some of us here alredy have sad, try out as many guns as possible the first year and think about which division you want to shoot in the future.

No need to buy expensive guns or gear for the first year, since your main concern is A-hit's in a safe manner rather than hosing the range with bullets.... :D

Remember, there is NO way to miss fast enough to win....

The new CZ 75 tactical sports seems great though... :)

And I already had a trigger job done, it now breaks at 1.8kg's SA, dunno about the double action style. Probably enough for the production class, cause the long DA pull is what counts there, right?

And yes, I've already shot close to a 500 rounds the past few weeks, I can't wait for the summer to come - no range costs... :P

What are your goals? If you want to be a M in Production or Open it will require much practice and ammo.

You always shoot against similar skilled people so if you are a C Open or a C Pro its really the same thing in terms of the path you take to get there.

Shooting 50,000 rds through a Open gun is a lot more expensive than 50K of Blazer or Wolf 9mm. I find it more fun to shoot Open though although many "get off" on mastering a "real"gun. Its your decision. I have seen a few people that require a switch from one division to another. Its a personality issue. Some people were not meant to shoot certain divisions. :unsure::ph34r:

I believe shooting Production/L10 kind of lends itself to a detail oriented disciplined analytical type personality. Open tends toward a speed, run and gun, director, dare I say impatient types. B)

Now the real truth is that with a good shooter it doesn't matter what your personality or type of gun that you shoot. They shoot fast and accurate no matter what.

I just mean I have suggested to a very few friends to dump the Limited and get an Open. They shoot more to their potential and are happier shooters.

I always let people shoot my Open gun and quite a few said "I don't like that loud, jumpy dot gun" They stayed with what they got. I let a shooter shoot my Kimber CDP tonight. She said she would stay with her Glock 27 for L10.

I real key is practice with what ever gun you choose.

The biggest factor I see is that you pretty much HAVE to reload your own ammo if you shoot open. Much of the ammo open gunners shoot is very hot in the 9mm calibers--it would be hard to find a factory loading that would make major, and harder still to find one that would make major AND work the comp effectively.

Better to keep your CZ, buy a reloading rig (Dillon 550 or 650), and learn how to reload while you learn how to shoot with the CZ. Then you can go for an open gun.

Good Luck,

DD

• 2 weeks later...

I used to shoot in ipsc competition a long time ago, and when I decided to get involved again there was only 1 choice.

GO OPEN

I had never shot an open gun but did a bit of research and ordered a Bedell open gun and have had a blast this past year. Life is too short to walk when you can run......

Mike

• 2 years later...

Congrats! You finally got that expensive custom gun for Standard Division!

Finally, folks on this board are taking mills to their CZ TS & Standard IPSC guns to create customs that are every bit as cool & functional as the S_I guns that are so prevelent here in the US.

Best of luck,

D.

Yeah, CZ and Tanfoglio are much more widely used around here compared to S_I. Gotta have one of those too eventually... :rolleyes:

Too bad that one Swedish guy quit making fancy parts for CZ. I knew I should have bought those immediately as I saw them. <_<

I used to shoot in ipsc competition a long time ago, and when I decided to get involved again there was only 1 choice.

GO OPEN

Life is too short to walk when you can run......

Mike

That would be a great signature line..... ;) Love that quote

Flyin40

Congrats on the new blaster!!! Where are the pictures? You gotta post pictures of the new baby!!!

Hee hee, coming, as soon as I get the compulsory dremeling done... :ph34r: But wow this trigger is nice straight out of the box, IMHO nicer than STI Executive I tried last week. I adjusted the pre-travel to approx. 1mm. Big match on friday, need "some" practice to get adjusted to this, the normal CZ75 has quite a bit different feel on the trigger. Too bad I need to buy new holster and magazine pouches too. I hope I can get them at least a few hours before the match. :rolleyes:

Edited by askomiko

"Too bad that one Swedish guy quit making fancy parts for CZ. I knew I should have bought those immediately as I saw them."

You can get most of the goodies for the CZ's from Angus at www.ghostholster.com

I just placed an order with him last week for $600 (ouch!) for my shooting gear, mags, grips and magwell for my TS. He's out of magwells right now but has more on order. He also told me he has a protype basepad right now that holds 21+1 off the line and 20 reloadable so I am going to wait for those to come out before I buy extentions and just shoot L-10 for the time being.

Hope that helps you. I love my TS. Like you said, the trigger is great!

CRW_1896pp.jpg

- Grip tape, grip tape

- Rounded the edges on both safety levers

- Rounded the sharp upper edge of right side grip panel

- Front sight is painted white (poor mans solution for dark indoor ranges)

It was painful to shoot more than a few hundred rounds because of that sharp edge on right grip panel. Next I could perhaps try to round the edges of frame in the magwell area. I also think that the grip would be better if it was just plain wood without those pyramid shapes. Perhaps that's for tomorrow... :rolleyes:

And yes, the trigger is still fun with that 2mm total movement. :wub:

CRW_1896pp.jpg

- Grip tape, grip tape

- Rounded the edges on both safety levers

- Rounded the sharp upper edge of right side grip panel

- Front sight is painted white (poor mans solution for dark indoor ranges)

It was painful to shoot more than a few hundred rounds because of that sharp edge on right grip panel. Next I could perhaps try to round the edges of frame in the magwell area. I also think that the grip would be better if it was just plain wood without those pyramid shapes. Perhaps that's for tomorrow... :rolleyes:

And yes, the trigger is still fun with that 2mm total movement. :wub:

Ghost holster carries some trick parts for CZ I assume the gun above is in 9mm to bad it's not in 45acp. How does it shoot?

I have seen a few people that require a switch from one division to another. Its a personality issue. Some people were not meant to shoot certain divisions. :unsure::ph34r:

Could you elaborate on that?

Old guys don't do well when the most significant factor is the ability to run fast and jump over tall buildings in a single bound. We do better when intelligence and treachery are are more significant competitive advantages.