Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

dryfiring

Attila

I have been told dryfiring with the EG firing pin and lighter FP spring can result in the edges of the firing pin hole being peened and the firing pin sticking in the hole. Is this the case with the Henning FP also? I was thinking since the Henning pin has a step and the end is thinner, maybe this wasn't a concern.

I've read and been told that with EG pin you should have a dedicated match setup and dry fire setup. Basically remove the EG pin and FP spring and put factory parts back in. Can it hurt? Guess not. Do I personally think it causes undue wear? No I don't but again parts are only meant to last so long. I dry fire a lot and it's not worth time to be swapping out all the time and I've once ended up using the wrong spring at a match and had light strikes. Personally I say run it how you would in a match and worry about dry fire vs changing parts every time.

I think it is up to you. I have two Stock II's and one is dry fire gun majority of time. To me it is just easy to get parts misplaced or put the wrong springs back in etc. if it's the only gun your shooting. I read that for dry fire it was best to remove FPB, the XL FP, and FP spring you use in competition and then put back in place afterwards. FWIW

SISIG, can you elaborate?

You can find rubber O ring in parts/hardware store. Just place the o ring between the hammer and firing pin stop and dry fire away.

This way the hammer only hits the o ring rather than the firing pin and thy are cheap.

http://m.lowes.com/pl/Faucet-o-rings-Faucet-parts-repair-Plumbing-parts-repair-Plumbing

it really depends how much dry fire you are planning to do? if like many of us it's 10min 1 or 2 times a week then I wouldn't worry about it. If you are hardcore and do 30min a day 5 days a week then I think it's worth putting in the stock FP and spring OR use the o-ring how sisig described.