Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Paper White

SD1

We tested the older small Nooks, they were a little slow.

But we were informed that they did not make those anymore and had no warranty.

But I have not researched this.

Was guided toward the Kindles. But that is sounding like bad info.

Post some links of what you suggest.

Thank you

NOOK pros:

• Cheap (~$40)
  • Sunlight readable
  • Phenomenal battery life

NOOK cons:

• Slightly slow
  • Can't be used in a rain/dust-proof case
  • Not a current product (but still readily available)

Other Android devices:

• More expensive (generally $100+)
  • Easier to break
  • Generally not sunlight readable
  • Adequate battery life for short matches

iPads pros:

• Faster
  • Software currently supports more match types
  • Can use in a rain/dust-proof case

iPad cons:

• Expensive ($180+ for a new 16GB WiFi-only non-Retina)
  • Harder to read in sunlight
  • Miserable battery life when the screen brightness is cranked up (otherwise OK)
  • More desirable to theft

For outdoor matches, it basically boils down to iPads or NOOKs. How much money do you have?

I've got 10 personal NOOKs, 10 for another club, 9 for another, 15 for another, 12 for another, 10 for another, and another 10 or 12 between several week clubs. I've had one unit fail, where the touch detection system has gone wonky.

One of the clubs hashad 10 iPads. Now they have 9. One got dropped in a LifeProof case and shattered the screen. So maybe it's a LifeResistant case.

$40 for a bad NOOK, one of 70 or so. $180 for a dropped iPad, one of 10. Math wins.

Edited by jcwren

Keep in mind if you are getting first gen ipads, there is a good hance that after two years or even less you won't be able get updates for practiscore software, like it happen now with old ipods. Apple makes it nearly impossible and forces developers to abandon old devices.

There are a lot of decent 7" android devices havent mentioned here, including nexus7, kindle fire, samsung tab 3 or 4, etc. They all have same issue in sun light, but the rest is not much different from ipads. If I'm not mistaken, recent uspsa ipsc nationals were scored on samsung tabs.

Edited by euxx

Eugene is right. I mentioned iPads above, that should actually be iPad Minis. Currently, even the oldest iPad Mini will run iOS 8.1, so PractiScore should be supported for a good while. But there will come a point when Apple stops supporting the older devices, and PractiScore may reach a point where it needs a more recent version of iOS to support new features (although right now, PS is supported on iOS versions as far back as 4.0, I believe).