Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 17 open gun/Tite Group Minor load

gerritm

I shoot mostly 3-gun with a little USPSA and steel. I have a Bobby Carver built Glock 17 Gen 4 open gun. 11# uncaptured spring. Love the gun, runs like a top. I've been using factory ammo with pretty good luck. Shoots fast and can keep the dot on target.

Been reloading for my Tanfo's and my son's Glock 34 and have a bunch of Tite Group powder. Had good luck with 3.8 grs and 115gr or 124gr Xtreme Plated bullets. Trying to get a load set up for my open gun.

Not sure where to start to get the most out of the 3-port comp. Not looking to go to major. I know Tite Group will not work for that. Book says to load plated like lead at max of about 4.0grs for 115 plated. Is that a good place to start? What about OAL? 1.12-1.14?

Any help is appreciated.

gerritm

post-23808-0-19692000-1415984726_thumb.j

Edited by gerritm

Hello: Why not use your same load as your Glock 34? I would load to 1.140" OAL. Depending on your factory ammo you are using 135-150PF is common. See how the gun feels to you after that. Heavier bullets may be better for 3-gun if you get some heavy set steel targets. I was using 121 grain Montana Golds with 3.9 grains of Tite Group in my Glock 34 that is 135PF. I used that also in my Glock 17 open pistol I had. Thanks, Eric

I run 4.2 grs. of Tite Group with a Xtreme 124 gr. RN (plated bullet) in my Carver Custom. I don't remember what spring I am running. Same load with the Montana Gold 124 also. I get better accuracy when I lengthen them to 1.168 OAL. Be careful with Tite Group. A small amount up or down can make a big difference in velocity and pressure, so go slow. To answer your question, yes, 4.0 with a 115 should be a good place to start. Be sure to test "single rounds" to make sure the load is creating enough pressure also. I was having cycling issues with my light loads for Speed Steel. Had to bump them up a bit because of the comp. Put one round in the mag and make sure the slide locks open. Try it several times to be certain.

Edited by IHMSA15151

I load 125 coated LRN at 3.6gr of TG with a 1.135 oal. It makes minor out of my lonewolf but it really is kinda flippy. Really, TG is to fast of a powder for an open gun but it does work, just not as good as some others.

Edited by KustomHolsters

Thanks for the help. I ran some 3.9gr TG with 115gr Extreme plated bullets to start and they shot and cycled in both my open and stock 34. Were very accurate. Open Glock shot well and the dot was fairly easy to keep on target and my transitions were OK. Not perfect. I did not chrono them, yet. I am going to make up enough for a match and run them to see how they work.

gerritm