Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bullets falling out

djt5656

I'm reloading 38 super comp. My load is 8.6 4756 1.123 oal. I'm getting some rounds that are way long. And the ones that are wrong have no case tension. I can pull the bullet out of the case with my fingers. Not good.

Does anyone know how to fix this or what is causing it. It only happens with my used brass not with new brass.

Thanks

Daniel

Try a Lee sizing die. The first stage sizing die holds the bullet crimp only allows it to feed into the chamber. Check the setting on your sizing die should be all the way down with pressure on the operating handle. I like to use a small strip of paper as a go no go gauge should pull out with slight effort and

not go back in.

Length is the seating die may be loose or incorrectly adjusted should push on the nose of the bullet and not the sides. May have the insert on the wrong

side. Fan of Lee's seating die and for a few bucks you can send the insert and a bullet to Lee and they will make an insert for that bullet. Had a flat one

made local and it pushes on the nose of the bullet keeping OAL nice and close.

Using a Dillon crimp die.

Are you loading with a bullet that you have not previously loded in this same brass? I agree that overload of powder or failure of sizing die are probable issues but I alsways look for what is new inm the eqjuation from prior experience on loading a particualr round.

Chuck

Are you using lee dies? Lee has two separate .38 super dies. One is for use with .356 bullets and the other is for use with .355 bullets. I know because they sent me the one for .356 and I could pull the bullets out. I should think that the .355 die would be more common but...... I am not sure if you are saying that some are long and they have no tension or all have no neck tension and some are long. You need to isolate the problem; make sure you have a .38 super die, size a case. Measure ID, it should be .353-.354. If it is, go to belling adjustment and make sure you are not over doing it. try pushing a bullet it, it should just barely start in the case. if that's ok, seat a bullet without any crimp. If you now have a seated bullet in a case with sufficient crimp and a belled case mouth THEN adjust the crimp and check tension again.

I'm reloading 38 super comp. My load is 8.6 4756 1.123 oal. I'm getting some rounds that are way long. And the ones that are wrong have no case tension. I can pull the bullet out of the case with my fingers. Not good.

Does anyone know how to fix this or what is causing it. It only happens with my used brass not with new brass.

Thanks

Daniel

Are you sure on that OAL number? That's awfully short for a .38 SC. They should be in the vicinity of +/- 1.250"

Alan~^~

Thanks

Daniel

Are you sure on that OAL number? That's awfully short for a .38 SC. They should be in the vicinity of +/- 1.250"

Alan~^~

My thoughts exactly