Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fitting new Slide to existing Frame

shotgunone

I realize this is a pistol smith's job. I have a STI 2011 in 9mm and was wondering how hard and how expensive it would be to have another slide fitted in say a 40 caliber or 45? I know you have to change the ejector but I have been seeing where a lot of 9mm ejectors are being replaced with shorter ejectors due to magazine hitting and breaking the ejector.

I would guess that obviously you have to fit the slide to the frame since the frame has to fit both slides. You couldn't work on both together to get them mated.

Or is it cheaper to buy the new gun in the different caliber?

Edited by shotgunone

Greetings amigo,

one of the fellas I shoot with has a 9 and a 40 top end. He knows more about competition shooting than I do so I'm guessing it is a good cost saving alternative. Seeing as you are asking this question, it goes without saying you don't have the skills to do the work (not saying as a jerk, I havnt got those skills either!) so the best guy to give you Intel on the project is the smith you are gonna use. What part of the country you in? I bet the benoverse will help you find a good one!

Good luck amigo!

Short, unhelpful, answer is "it depends", largely on how much money you've spent in your frame. Trigger job, magwell, etc. I'm doing a similar thing right now, building a 40 slide for a 1911, and I found it was comparable to buying a new gun and that's with me doing a lot of the labor. I chose to do the slide because I wanted a project. Realize that the slide has to be fitted to the frame and the barrel needs to be fitted to the slide (and bushing if you have a bushing barrel), so Gunsmithing costs can add up.

Because of the cost I have always prefered having two different guns (cost is figured having a real gunsmith do the work and not me). Plus if you get tired of one caliber you can sell the whole gun adn still have a gun left to shoot. WIth two slides it is all or nothing

The idea of only having one grip, safety and trigger to get used to is rather appealing for competition and for those that cannot get a lot of trigger time in at the range....

Edited by bubbadoc