Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New car shopping...looking for opinions

Thanks for the ideas thus far. I should add there's a HP minimum of 300. CPO C63 AMG, and CPO S4 are both on the consider list thus far. The C63 doesn't make the 20mpg highway rating I wanted, but it's close at 19...and it's 481 HP...you just can't hate that.

I had a C32 AMG back in the day. With an overdrive pulley on the supercharger and a beefed up pump for the intercooler made about 400 BHP - pretty fast 10 years ago. That said, maintenance and repair costs on Mercs / Audis / BMWs suck. I'm not sure how quality is on them today, but I probably spent $200 / month on maintenance & repairs from the time it went out of warranty until I sold it.

If you're driving a jeep, anything with more than 300 HP is going to be fast enough to get you in trouble. 400+ just requires another level of discipline. I remember getting on the gas to get on onramps and finding myself doing 95+ as I got to the end of ramp / merging area.

Since I've sold that I've stuck with Acuras - can't go wrong with Lexus either. A loaded MDX is in your budget and with SH-AWD it can corner as well as some cars. A TL or TLX with SH-AWD is more fun to drive than you might expect. You can push around corners faster than you might think, which is half the fun of driving.

55g's might get you a 2008 jeep unlimited 4 door. it has a Motech 5.3L GM conversion with a 6L80 six speed auto in it.. Trutrac's in front and rear, RCV axles in front, factory Nav, loaded as much as it gets. It gets 19.5 mpg if you can keep your foot out of it, will put a big smile on your face when you push it too hard. it has 2 inline mufflers and still makes people freak out at the sound that it makes.

Edited by JohnRodriguez