Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting order of targets?

bkeeler

Under the freestyle rules there are specifics about classifiers. 1.1.5.2 and 1.1.5.3 only cover mandatory reloads, shooting position, stance, strong hand and weak hand (so these things can be specified). Otherwise freestyle rules still apply and targets in an array can be engaged in any order. Roscoe Rattle is basically telling you to perform a mandatory reload between arrays, in this case the arrays have only one target, but this is no different than any classifier that says engage T1-3, mandatory reload, engage T4-6. You can start on either array and shoot each in any order you want.

Doesn't 1.2.2.2 allow classifiers to specify pretty much anything?

FWIW, Mara didn't ask me about this before she posted. I learned about the discussion this afternoon from George W. She is correct, though, there is no order of engagement on this classifier. It was not shot in a specific order at Nationals. I do agree the course description could be cleaner. Sounds like a good project--writing wsb's for all the classifiers.

Troy, thanks for your input on this one. Here on BE we do so much cogitating, guessing, fantasizing, and assuming that we can pretty much muck up anything. I'll take your post to our club and let them know how this one was shot at Nationals. Hopefully the WSB can be clarified, too.

Roscoe Rattle is basically telling you to perform a mandatory reload between arrays, in this case the arrays have only one target, but this is no different than any classifier that says engage T1-3, mandatory reload, engage T4-6. You can start on either array and shoot each in any order you want.

The fundamental problem is that the descriptions aren't consistent. There are those the specify "any order" and those that don't. If they don't say any order then the tendency in a case like this is to interpret it as being literal "shoot T1 then reload then shoot T3".

As to T1-T3 meaning shoot them in T1,T2,T3 order, I've never seen or heard that interpretation before. But since it does seem to exist, that's even more of a reason to expand the stage descriptions.

Roscoe Rattle is basically telling you to perform a mandatory reload between arrays, in this case the arrays have only one target, but this is no different than any classifier that says engage T1-3, mandatory reload, engage T4-6. You can start on either array and shoot each in any order you want.

The fundamental problem is that the descriptions aren't consistent. There are those the specify "any order" and those that don't. If they don't say any order then the tendency in a case like this is to interpret it as being literal "shoot T1 then reload then shoot T3".

As to T1-T3 meaning shoot them in T1,T2,T3 order, I've never seen or heard that interpretation before. But since it does seem to exist, that's even more of a reason to expand the stage descriptions.

The ones that specify any order don't need to. I included the ruled pertaining to classifiers already. As far as I know there aren't any that mandate a specific order,(T1 then T2, then T3, etc.) I don't think they can per the rules. It's very specific under the freestyle rules what classifiers are allowed to require.

The rulebook is there so that every single thing doesn't have to be written in to a stage description/briefing, although Troy already said he would work on cleaning them up some, that is very different from "expanding" them.

Classifiers have always been looked on as being different and as allowing things that "normally" wouldn't be allowed. It's very clear from this discussion that confusion over shooting order does exist.

I can't recall, but I don't think that this has been discussed much in Front Sight. Perhaps an article clarifying things is in order.