Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classification shoot

cwmax2000

Being brand new, would it be better to shoot the classification very well or very poor? Either way, how does this affect your shooting and scoring for the rest of the year?

as I am sure others will say, don't even consider such thoughts. Just shoot them at your own comfortable match pace and current level of ability like you would any other stage.

Eric

Shoot honest.

The classifier tests many skills you use in regular matches, maybe not in the same proportion but the same skills (drawing from holster, accuracy via head shots, tgt-to-tgt transitions, shooting while moving, weak/strong hand, from cover, slide lock reloads and loaded chamber reloads, etc.). The classifer does not require a cover garment so it is a bit missleading.

As a MD for the last 3 years, I've only seen one person shoot the classifer at a level beyond what they normally shoot in a match (classifed as ESP EX but normally finishes mid pack ESP SS).

If you want to practice the classifer, do so from a skills development stand point execpt use a cover garment.

Good advice! I have seen people practice the Classifier extensively and, as Rob noted, wind up classified above their actual match skill level. The Classifier is a basic test of basic skills for the purpose of determining which class a shooter should initially begin their competitive experience in. There has to be some way to determine this, and the IDPA classifier as decent a test as any other. It does not cover all the things you may see in a match (moving targets, non-threats, hard covered targets, having to manage round count to arrive at an activator target with enough rounds to deal with the target it activates, etc.).

Consider it a basic skill test to start. And, just shoot it like you would a match.

The Classifier.....as others have said shoot it honestly. As an SO most people that shoot it honestly don't run it as high as they would like or for the class they actually compete in. Practice will help for the classifier and you will see results in your matches. I would suggest practice getting smooth draws, reloads and getting your hits. Getting your hits is probably the most important, don't miss the head shots in the first stage and don't have any shots in the -3 or worse from stage 3. Know the format of the classifier and have a good idea of the order so you don't get confused. Don't stress out over it either I've done this almost every time I try the classifier and end up much worse.

• 3 weeks later...

Being brand new, would it be better to shoot the classification very well or very poor? Either way, how does this affect your shooting and scoring for the rest of the year?

as I am sure others will say, don't even consider such thoughts. Just shoot them at your own comfortable match pace and current level of ability like you would any other stage.

Eric

Totally agree. Shoot it, that's all. Don't sandbag, don't go for broke, cuz you'll

break. It's a good test of a lot of different skills. Accuracy is the key. Once you

classify in a division, you're there until you move up. Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk