Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Starline 9mm Brass - Coated Bullets

oteroman

Just got 2000 New 9mm Starline cases that I will load with coated bullets for my S&W 929

The case edges seem sharp. Do you think it is a good idea to tumble them (in Walnut or Corn ???)

for several hours to slighly smooth the edges or not.

Personally I wouldn't bother -- you're going to be expanding the case mouths anyway prior to seating the bullets.

If you're concerned then maybe camfer & debur the edge. I only do this for rifle and new 44 mag cases after resizing & trimming.

Edited by techj

My new starline for the 929 were a little brutal on the bullets the first go around too, but once they came around for the second loading all was well.

By the way, what's your load for the 929?

I wish I knew LOL I am not that far yet, I plan on going with 160 bullets and E3 or WST to start.

New gun still working on installing a fiber sight, and about to start fitting Apex hammer.

Then I need to figure out what what to do about an $1100 gamer gun that has no

CYLINDER CHAMFERING???

Why would this not be done IN A GAMER GUN?

sorry for the rant...

Before I use new starline for .38 super, and more recently .38 short colt (for a SW627), I'll tumble in walnut for 2-3 hours, then polish with corn-cob for another hour or two.

That takes the sharpness off the case mouth edges and gets the preservative oil out of the case prior to loading.

I feel your growing pains about getting set up to shoot revolver.

When I started down this road earlier this year I figured shooting revolver would require almost zero work on the gun/load and would be what I shoot when I didn't have time to fuss with my open gun.

That really didn't turnout like I thought.

My 627 took a fair amount of work/time to set up, and I am still toying with it. Also, the load development is still a work in process. Part of that because I messed with the cut-down 38 specials for a while before going short colts.

But, I am having a lot of fun with it and am learning a lot. What more could I want? :cheers:

Hope you enjoy your 929, too!

Edited by Bamboo

If you're loading on a Dillon press, I recommend using the Mr. Bulletfeeder powder funnel by Double Alpha for loading coated bullets. The powder funnel is cut so it leaves a shelf in the case where the coated bullets sit. You still adjust the flare as usual but the bullet is well protected from getting scratched by case.

Obviously this is completely unnecessary but it does make loading coated bullets relatively foolproof.

Guys, I got in 1000 Starline Colt 45...noticed the same issues with the case edge. Went ahead and lubed them, resized in Dillion 550B stage #1 and went on to prime and load XT 225FN plated bullets with Tight Group powder and fire them. The rounds performed just fine in my S&W Governor and my Henry Big Boy chambered for 45 Colt. No issues over more than several hundred rounds in the last month or so.

" Don't overthink the matter" and "if not broken don't try to fix it", is advice which I have gotten here and elsewhere the last many decades on many matters.It also applies on these matters I believe though I am no expert in reloading.

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I knew LOL I am not that far yet, I plan on going with 160 bullets and E3 or WST to start.

New gun still working on installing a fiber sight, and about to start fitting Apex hammer.

Then I need to figure out what what to do about an $1100 gamer gun that has no

CYLINDER CHAMFERING???

Why would this not be done IN A GAMER GUN?

sorry for the rant...

See this thread for your cyl chamfer fix....

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=185643&page=3&hl=%2B929#entry2280143