Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rudy Project Rx Glasses

technetium-99m

I'm surfing Rudy's website looking for a new pair of shooting glasses. You can enter your prescription and they say that they will contact you to discuss options when you fax in the Rx from your optometrist.

My Rx is outside the range they give to input (they stop at -4.00 and I need -4.75 and -5.00). Of course they are closed on weekends so I'll have to wait until Monday to call them.

Does anyone have experience with getting a set of Rydons with a prescription like that?

Edited by technetium-99m

When I talked to a rep at Superstition Mountain last spring he said it was likely my prescription was so bad I would not be happy with the results. I think it was something about the distortion on the curved lenses. He recommended either Decot or surgery.

I don't have the numbers off hand, but I can't read the large E on the eye chart.

I have the Rudy Project Rydon set.

My Rx is -5.50 and -7.25, and I need progressive bi-focals to see what I am doing up close. In other words I have very weak eyesight! I can barely see the wall chart! Also, I needed the high-index type of Rx lens material.

I went to an optometrist who knows the Rudy Project product. He spent 3 hours with me, explaining the need for focus on far targets and close targets, progressive bi-focals, high-index material, curvature, all combined into one lens. The progressive bi-focals were non-negotiable, without them I can't focus on things up close like reading a WSB, loading mags, or anything fiddly with my equipment. The optometrist also explained the curvature issue with the Rx lens. In the end, I received an excellent product and can wear them all day, all weekend, without any issues. Also, the Rydon set includes different colored safety lenses which I switch in and out depending on the daylight.

At least chat with them over the phone. If you don't need bi-focals that'll make things easier.

Rudy doesn't offer lenses that I'm aware of in my Rx, and I wanted cheaper interchangeable lenses anyway, so I went with the Rx insert. I have Magster and Rydon frames, several lens sets for each, and one Rx insert I move between them.

Their lens warranty doesnt cover RX lenses and they do seem to scratch pretty easy. I've gone through several sets, which gets somewhat expensive when they're a couple hundred bucks+ each.

Not sure if other brands have more durable lenses, but once my current set is scratched up, I'll try something else.

I got a set of Rydons 4 years ago and love them. I need to get a new set before my insurance runs out at the end of the month.

I dont remember what my "script" was but I get new data on Thursday.

My eye doc let me take my glock into her office so I could get the progressive section in the perfect position so that when I draw/aim , a slight head tilt down and the far vision target is in focus and a slight tilt up and the front sight is in focus-ish.

This spot they mark on the lens with a grease pencil gives them the location from the bottom of the lens to position when they "grind"

Now need to go find if we still get a discount on them. Last time I bought via the eye docs office and it was over $700 for progressive, photochromic and polarized.

I called Rudy and they said I could only order single vision online and that only Docs could order progressive bifocals.

The Rudy rep said I could save some money on the new set by ordering the standard Rydon frames with plain lenses at the discount and then at the Docs just order the prescription lenses for that frame.

Edited by armordude