Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How strict and "tough" are you with "gamers" when ROin

Hotchkiss

Hey it looks to me like you already have this whole thing pretty well figured out. Certainly much more so then some of the folks who have helpfully chimed in here? Did you just come here looking for someone to pat you on the shoulder and tell you you did right?

/Calling shots on steel is like making a call on first base..? Now I've heard it all.

Edited by peterthefish

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey it looks to me like you already have this whole thing pretty well figured out. Certainly much more so then some of the folks who have helpfully chimed in here? Did you just come here looking for someone to pat you on the shoulder and tell you you did right?

/Calling shots on steel is like making a call on first base..? Now I've heard it all.

Your comment is cute and all but I did learn a little bit from this thread -- both good and bad.

Edited by Hotchkiss

Calling shots on steel is like making a call on first base..? Now I've heard it all.

I was just thinking about the naivete of your comment. When was the last time you ROed a stage where some were able to fire five (5) times on target in less than a second? Ever been faced with hearing 5 extremely fast shots and their impacts but it's quite clear that the last shot did not hit the stop plate (not even its edge or the bolt) based on the sound even though the plate moved?

Ever then dig-in a bit deeper, go over the line and find that the last shot nicked the stand and being tankful that you as the RSO paint the target stand uprights between squads? How about the reverse? When one or more "cheerleaders" are calling for a mike yet based only on the sound, you know the stop plate was hit triggering further investigation if requested?

No, I didn't think so. I suspect much of this comes with experience and to a lesser degree, innate ability.

Edited by Hotchkiss

Calling shots on steel is like making a call on first base..? Now I've heard it all.

I was just thinking about the naivete of your comment. When was the last time you ROed a stage where some were able to fire five (5) times on target in less than a second? Ever been faced with hearing 5 extremely fast shots and their impacts but it's quite clear that the last shot did not hit the stop plate (not even its edge or the bolt) based on the sound even though the plate moved?

Ever then dig-in a bit deeper, go over the line and find that the last shot nicked the stand and being tankful that you as the RSO paint the target stand uprights between squads? How about the reverse? When one or more "cheerleaders" are calling for a mike yet based only on the sound, you know the stop plate was hit triggering further investigation if requested?

No, I didn't think so. I suspect much of this comes with experience and to a lesser degree, innate ability.

So kind of you to respond for me. Almost thought this would be a one sided discussion. Innate ability and experience - maybe we need to rank ROs. I have no doubt your be a GM RO. Probably world champ in fact.

I wonder if you shoot? Must be tough for those ROing you to live up to your standard. Or maybe you just RO yourself?

Edited by peterthefish

I would love to comment more but probably shouldn't. Maybe the best thing for all is just to lock this one before it gets worse. Some men you can't reach.

Might be true but there are still brave men who stride into whorehouses armed with nothing but a bible. The way I see it, I'm just doing God's work, and God doesn't want to shoot with an RO who thinks he's Him.

So kind of you to respond for me. Almost thought this would be a one sided discussion. Innate ability and experience - maybe we need to rank ROs. I have no doubt your be a GM RO. Probably world champ in fact.

I wonder if you shoot? Must be tough for those ROing you to live up to your standard. Or maybe you just RO yourself?

I'm just trying to continuously learn. Perhaps others need to adopt the same mindset? I reject notions like "ROing is always easy" (it certainly can be, but that's not always the case) or that "it's simple, just call the RM, so the volunteers can go home on time."

FWIW, I really do appreciate the private feedback I have been receiving. Very different (and far more constructive) than the type you have posted.

Folks name calling is never appropriate on this forum. We've handed out suspensions for it in the past. Knock it off.

Attitude
Please be polite. Or if not polite, at least respectful.
No bickering. Regardless of the subject matter.
Antagonistic, offensive, or quarrelsome tones are not acceptable.
No trolling. No alternate accounts.