Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Shooters - Target focus - Tape over optic?

JPG

I've seen this comment made a few times in non-related threads, but I wanted to ask - to train yourself for 'target focus,' do you ever put a piece of tape over the lens of your optic?

Seems to work in dry-fire. I'll try it live fire next time I'm at the range.

It should help develop target focus w/ red dot and should be faster vs front/iron sight focus.

What puzzles me is the preference of most open shooters for a larger lens on red dot sights (CMore sliderides vs micro dots) to see through. If I have to peek thru the lens, its doubly harder to focus on the target as my eye is forced to focus on the dot, not on the target. Its why I prefer the smaller lensed micro dot sights but bcoz of their reliability problem Im into the slideride now.

...What puzzles me is the preference of most open shooters for a larger lens on red dot sights (CMore sliderides vs micro dots) to see through...

FWIW, I started with the CMore RTS (not RTS2) and switched to the Slide Ride - mainly because I felt like I could pick up the dot more quickly.

I'm with you though BoyGlock, I often find myself focusing on the dot because I'm looking through the lens. So for me, practicing with tape on the lens makes me focus on the target. I'm hoping to form 'muscle memory' for my target visualization. Today, I live-fired (with tape on the optic) on a steel challenge plate @ 20 yds. It took some getting used to, but I was able to hit the target.

I started w/ an STS and eventually went w/ the slideride and I can tell its easier to focus on the target w/ or w/out a tape in the smaller sts. I can shoot a whole match w/ a tape on the lens w/ confidence except when a cof has targets to be shot thru grills, I remove the tape and see thru the lens.