Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDM 5.25 40 bullet & setup suggestions for minor and Major

kmaultsby

I just picked up my 5.25 last week and installed my PRP trigger in today. I own a XD9 tactical now in 9mm shooting IDPA. I planning on shooting USPSA limited 10, & limited. Because I will be using the pistol for IDPA ESP also, I would love suggestions on what mag wells, guide rods, to add. Also I reload so would love to here from others on 40 S&W minor for IDPA 155gr bullets 165, or 180.

Would love to here what others are using with their 5.25.

I have one 5.25 setup for Production and one 5.25 setup for Limited. Both are chambered in 40.

40 minor is ridiculously soft. I like 155gr for minor and 180 for major. It takes very little powder to make minor with 155gr and even less with 180. I could never obtain the accuracy I was after with 180gr bullets in minor though. I'm sure it can be achieved but just never happened with the powder combos I tried.

I've used pretty much all types of bullets from cast to jacketed and I stick to plated now.

Edited by d_striker

I have one 5.25 setup for Production and one 5.25 setup for Limited. Both are chambered in 40.

40 minor is ridiculously soft. I like 155gr for minor and 180 for major. It takes very little powder to make minor with 155gr and even less with 180. I could never obtain the accuracy I was after with 180gr bullets in minor though. I'm sure it can be achieved but just never happened with the powder combos I tried.

I've used pretty much all types of bullets from cast to jacketed and I stick to plated now.

Thanks for the feedback I was looking at BBI for bullets but they only have 165gr but I may try them for minor. I am WST for now.

Here are some of the things that I did to my 5.52" .40 for USPSA.

ICE magwell

Dawson Precision extended magazine bases. Now up to 19 round capacity

Stainless guide rod

PRP trigger kit

I am shooting 180 grain Berry's Bullets Flat Points for major (PF of 175)

Here are some of the things that I did to my 5.52" .40 for USPSA.

ICE magwell

Dawson Precision extended magazine bases. Now up to 19 round capacity

Stainless guide rod

PRP trigger kit

I am shooting 180 grain Berry's Bullets Flat Points for major (PF of 175)

In USPSA are you shooting production limited or limited 10?

Edited by kmaultsby

major 4.7 or 4.8gr N320 with 180gr Extremez....standard spring...right around 170pf.

I don't shoot minor but i have a 3gun minor load of about 4.1gr N320 but i swap out to a 12lb spring.....I do not know the velocity of this load yet.....as i just brought the load up to cycle the gun to my liking.

I only use 180gr.....you can make 40minor really stupid soft.

I load all my 40 to about 1.135" roughly

Edited by Artsville

• 3 weeks later...

I was running 180 bayou over 3.8 gr of e3 powder. Worked pretty good for me.

For minor?

I just looked at my chrono data. I got e3 as a Clays substitute for minor loads, a year or two back. I worked up loads with a 180gr plated bullet just to see what it would do. The max charge I shot was 4.3gr in my 5.25. Lot's of pressure and only about 163PF.

3.3gr e3 with a 155 bullet makes about 130PF in my 5.25.

What PF are you getting with the combo you listed?

Edited by d_striker

• 6 months later...