Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cz 85 combat for ipsc?

kitsune312

hello,

i found a CZ 85 combat with a lot of freebies (comp hammer, extended firing pin, aluminum grips) at a very reasonable price.

I was wondering if it would be a good choice as an ipsc production division gun with a trigger job and the appropriate springs.

how would it compare with recoil management with the sp01 shadow?

i would want to get a shadow, but currently, the CZ sp01 shadow in my country costs double the amount of the used CZ 85 combat.

thanks for your input!

CZUB lists the Shadow at 1180g while the 85c is 1000g. The shadow would handle recoil a little better but the decision is yours if twice the price is worth that improvement. One could argue your transitions would be better served with the 85. The 85 also lacks the firing pin block so the trigger can be tuned just as well as a shadow. My suggestions is to get both. :devil:

If only i could.... Then i would be able to finally get some sleep at night. :))

With the reduced weight under the barrel, splits would be slower with the 85 combat right?

Or would the difference in the splits between the shadow and the 85 combat be small enough that it wouldnt make much difference?

Know someone who shot both (a GM). Liked the 85 better I think. I believe he thought is was easier on transitions with less weight on the front end. I shoot an SP01 and use 124/125 gr bullets. Was told recently by a CZ team shooter, that extensive testing showed him he shot better and faster with 147gr than 124/125s. He disliked the feel of the 147 gr, but with better results that is what he shoots now. Know one person shooting 160 lead in a Glock for Production. Another shooting a 160 gr in revolver. The revolver sounds like a pop gun going off. But talk about soft shooting... Think the revolver load in N320, 3.2 grs. (or maybe 2.2 not sure which). A 160 gr. bullet only needs 781.25 fps for 125 PF, and 812.5 for 130 PF. Both should be very soft.

My plan is to try 147 and see what happens in my SP01.