Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Increasing Trigger Pull Weight

Spaceball

Well this is opposite to all the other trigger posts.

Have a Tanfoglio Gold Match in 9mm.

Factory trigger pull is around 1200g (2.6lb) the matches that it will be used in require a 1360g (3.0lb) trigger pull. At least a won't have a mushy trigger.

What is the best / easiest way to increase the weight?

Thanks

Edited by Spaceball

160g shouldn't be hard to get, I would first buy all new springs, not specifically for Xtreme pistols, but just Witness springs (I'm pretty sure there are not model specific springs, but just in case): trigger return spring, trigger plunger spring, sear spring, then hammer spring. I would change them one at a time in that order, taking note of the pull weight and coil diameter of the spring coming out vs the one going in (just so you can get spares and not start over again when it comes time to change springs).

Are you shooting some kind of strange outlaw match with a minimum trigger pull requirement???

The easiest way to increase the overall trigger pull weight is to swap the Single Action only trigger return spring with the DA/SA version. You will need to widen the channel in the trigger shoe where the spring rests to make the wider DA/SA trigger spring fit without binding side to side, but that's all you have to do. From there you can tweak the legs of the trigger return spring to increase or decrease the preload tension of the spring while its installed. As a fair warning, if you bend the legs of the spring a lot to increase the preload tension it becomes that much more of a pain in the ass to install the spring in the trigger shoe.