Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No more 8-shot revos!!

dcloudy777

Looks like the efforts of RedMist, et al have paid off... both revolver divisions are back to 6 shots. Now there's no reason for someone to blow his/her hand off trying to make 165 power factor with a 9mm. :P And the little clip-type moonclip holders like the Cali Comp Works ones are legal... wierd, they look way "gamier" than the Blade-Tech doubles, but hey, small price to pay. Looks like revolver may not be dead in IDPA after all.

DanO

But Gary, things are just getting good!!! :P Seriously, I know what you mean, I did the same thing last week, walked away from it just starting back up now that there's better news. I see what you mean about the moonclip holder now, It's hard to tell if the stud in the center goes through the clip or not... looks easy enough to modify even if it doesn't. At least everyone gets the same number of shots now.

DanO

Try this:

Legal by descriptionand picture:

151000022.jpg

Not legal by description and picture:

151111000.jpg

I am all done with IDPA discussion.

Thanks,

Gary

Why do you feel the lower pictured one isn't legal. I believe the requirement you may be referencing is "D". If thats the case my holders do cover 100% of the cartridge height. What am I missing?

Moon clip carrier must:

A. Be designed for concealed carry and suitable for all day continuous wear.

B. Be worn on a standard belt of no more than 1 ¾” width that must pass through the belt loops on the shooter’s pants.

C. Hold the moon clip with enough tension to allow it to be turned upside down and retain it while fully loaded.

D. Either be of open top configuration that covers at least 60% of the diameter and100% of the cartridge height and retains the moon clip by tension and a stud that protrudes through the center of the clip, or retain the moon clip with a snap or Velcro closure.

Because Joyce is listed as being on here, I will add that this could have been fixed with the change of one word.

D. Either be of open top configuration that covers at least 60% of the diameter and100% of the cartridge height and retains the moon clip by tension and (Change and to or ) a stud that protrudes through the center of the clip

Regards,

Gary

R_G_S

Just trim the fins alittle and you're good to go. A loaded clip will drop all the way to the bottom. With a 625 you will get the center post to protrude about 1/4". The spring steel will hold the clip if turned upside down, if not just bend it to put more tension on it.

Am I still missing something?

BTW I still think 7 & 8 shot revolvers would be perfect in ESR just leave all the 6 shot revolvers in SSR. The difference between speedloaders and moonclips isn't a big deal. Moonclips are just more forgiving in a bad reload. restricting a 7 or 8 shot revolver to 6 shots effectively says don't use a 7 or 8 shot revolver, so what's the purpose.

edit: Rule simplification would be.... rentiontion by any method! Retention is retension.

Looks like the efforts of RedMist, et al have paid off... both revolver divisions are back to 6 shots.  Now there's no reason for someone to blow his/her hand off trying to make 165 power factor with a 9mm.  :P  And the little clip-type moonclip holders like the Cali Comp Works ones are legal... wierd, they look way "gamier" than the Blade-Tech doubles, but hey, small price to pay.  Looks like revolver may not be dead in IDPA after all.

DanO

Don't thank me....thank Bill Wilson and the BoD! B)

Thanks to the efforts of Bill, Joyce, and the countless others behind the scenes that have patiently listened to our comments, complaints, and consternations; I truly believe that the irregularities and imbalances of the SSR and ESR

division(s) have been fixed to a satisfactory and very usable degree. :)

True to my word, I will continue my “crusade” to raise the SSR and ESR divisions to record setting levels!

Understandably, there will still be some mulling over of the fine points concerning equipment, etc. but all things considered we have a workable rulebook concerning these two divisions. TONS better than original and much better than the first draft of revisions.

Thanks Bill and Joyce, etc. for your efforts :D .

I have signed up for the Maryland and Indiana State Matches in ESR…now to get classified! Bring your wheelgun :wub: and join in the fun! Reminder: 2005 National Championship - we're going to try to get at least two "all-revolver" squads. Stay tuned! B)

BTW I still think 7 & 8 shot revolvers would be perfect in ESR just leave all the 6 shot revolvers in SSR. The difference between speedloaders and moonclips isn't a big deal. Moonclips are just more forgiving in a bad reload. restricting a 7 or 8 shot revolver to 6 shots effectively says don't use a 7 or 8 shot revolver, so what's the purpose.

Couldn't agree more but that horse is out of the barn, down the road, and into the next county. <_< Let's make it work as SSR and ESR. If nothing else we have more opportunities to shoot revolver. It's taken me a few weeks but I'm beginning to like the split.

If you don't shoot a bunch and have a 7 and 8 shot revolver you can still play with the rest of us - that is the purpose. Inclusion with equality.

:rolleyes: I think the new book is done right.

I was real upset when the first (draft ) came out with the wrong weight limits on ESR guns. The 6-7-8 round difference in ESR was a new problem I could get used to until I could save enough pennies to buy one.

I have only looked at the problems that affected me but they all seem to be corrected.

As the owner of a small business I know how it is to make a decision without putting every effort into it. Sometimes you are doing 4-5 major things and skim read/think thru a new change, do what you think is right and it bites you real hard.

Oops.

We don’t know what all was going on in his business or personal life and I for one will be happy with the effort put forth to fix this mistake that 12,000 of us have had time to dissect and criticize. If and probably when one of them makes another mistake I will not hesitate to let them know, just like my customers do for me.

Thank you Bill & Joyce and if you come to Smith & Wesson Winter Championships I will be the guy smiling like the cat who ate the canary.

Warren A Baker

Former local IDPA chairman, State championships MD, RO, SO, and happy again.

This is an excellent rule book. I like it a lot. Most of the things that needed clarified have been taken care of. Maybe everything. :D I haven't fully read every word yet, but I like it. Thanks to Bill, Joyce, Dru and everybody involved.

I just looked at my CCW moon clip carriers. I believe they are legal. A few strokes with a file on the fins will make the moon clip sit low enough if they stick up a little.

I'm really happy about 6 shots in ESR. I already have a 167 power factor load for my 686x6 .38 super. B) I will tweak it a little in the coming weeks to give me 170. :D

Did I mention that I like this new rule book? :lol:

Bill Nesbitt

Well lets say I can live with it, so my response isn't quite as enthusiastic as the others before me. What's done is done so there isn't any need to re-hash it. I tried to stay off the "hate-the-new-rules-bandwagon as much as possible.

My IDPA resignation letter goes in the file cabnet for now. I too haven't read all the new rules but soon will. Still I'm concerned with dividing an already thin rank of revolver shooters. And for those who excelled in SSR last year....well you'll have the memories. Time for everyone to pony up to a calssifier and move on.

Perhaps the lessons learned will prove valuable.

My IDPA resignation letter goes in the file cabnet for now.

I'm still going to try to get you on the "all-revolver" squads at this year's IDPA Nationals. If I can suck it up, well, misery loves company buddy. :) We can form a band of PiSSR's - Previously Stock Service Revolver shooter's :lol:

My IDPA resignation letter goes in the file cabnet for now.

I'm still going to try to get you on the "all-revolver" squads at this year's IDPA Nationals. If I can suck it up, well, misery loves company buddy. :) We can form a band of PiSSR's - Previously Stock Service Revolver shooter's :lol:

"PiSSR's - Previously Stock Service Revolver shooter's " too funny :P

Hell the RIMZ team always tries to get an all revo squad ...just not enough of em and now it will be fewer. let's see if ESR/SSR grows or wilts.

BTW I'm game...now if I can just keep that file cabnet closed........ B)

From the first version to where the rules are now released, I am very pleased with the changes. :rolleyes: SO what will be the game to chase at nationals? Power up reclassify and chase ESR at nationals? or learn to shoot my new SSR speed loader gun?

My final question is if i reclassify in ESR and shoot SSR will i need a new SSR classification? and if i do, does that mean i stay as last classified or is it possible now to move back in classification? :o

Frederick Haring

My final question is if i reclassify in ESR and shoot SSR will i need a new SSR classification? and if i do, does that mean i stay  as last classified or is it possible now to move back in classification? :o

Frederick Haring

Unless the new rules permit a fall backwards in class your last SSR class is your new SSR classification but with speedloaders. You won't go backwards but I think they should have made all SSR and ESR shooters reclassify just the same.

Realistically, if you can make a class in SSR with a moon gun you can do the same with speedloaders but it might take you one or two tries to get proficient. There is really no difference once you practice the one you plan to use - speedloader or moonclip - besides the missed reload disaster that is possible with speedloaders.

You'll do fine :)

Personally, I'm not shooting SSR until I complete my goals that I started two years ago as a SSR-MM. The only difference is that I will be doing it in ESR now since I started with the moon gun.

Hope to see you at the 2005 National Championship on one of the all-revolver squads!

PiSSR - 01 B)

From the first version to where the rules are now released, I am very pleased with the changes. :rolleyes: SO what will be the game to chase at nationals? Power up reclassify and chase ESR at nationals? or learn to shoot my new SSR speed loader gun?

My final question is if i reclassify in ESR and shoot SSR will i need a new SSR classification? and if i do, does that mean i stay as last classified or is it possible now to move back in classification? :o

Frederick Haring

My guess is many SSR shooters will have to requalify because it's for speedloaders only. Obviously all the ESR shooters will have to shoot a classifier.

rwmagnus, If they let me again, I will work as SO at the nationals. I worked the 2 car stage with Ted and Melissa off this forum. If not i would join a all revolver squad. :P I shot and worked with both them most of the week. Good folks :D

maybe i need Ted to teach me speed loaders :huh:

Frederick Haring