Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speer brass not depriming

The Donald

Having some brass that does not deprime when resizing on my 650. All of the brass that does not deprime is Speer, Winchester, S&B etc all run through fine.

The funny thing is if I pull the brass and resize on my T-7, the primer comes out easily and the new primer goes in with normal effort.

Anyone else run into this? Any way to lengthen the Dillon depriming rod a bit?

What I found was that the primer was sticking to the depriming pin and was actually being pushed all the way out on the down stroke, because the primer was fully attached to the depriming pin, it put it right back in the hole on the upstroke. I polished the tip of the depriming pin to a mirror finish with a Dremel and some Flitz. The polish need to go from the bottom of the pin about 1/8" up on the sides. This cured the Speer "reprime" problem for me.

Edited by bowenbuilt

I polished the depriming pin. Only thing was is could not find any place open that had Flitz, so I used the next best thing, toothpaste. It worked like a charm, just ran 200 rds through the 650 without a single hiccup!

Thanks for the help guys!!

Just in case you want to really put a slick finish on the pin or have any further problems Flitz is in the Sporting Goods section of Wal-Mart. I also use Flitz on all of my dies to keep them from rusting. It will keep them looking like new for a long time between coats.

Edited by bowenbuilt

Also there appears to have been an issue with the de-capping pins produced for Dillon last year, that were ever so slightly out of spec, if you bought de-capping pins in 2013 check them they maybe short.

My 9mm dies are maybe 20 years old. They came with my 550 I traded a brunch of work on a guy's care for back in 2000/2001 and he had with set up for both 9mm & .357/38.

I tried polishing etc worked for a while then started again but not as bad.

I saw a post here on grinding/polishing an angle on the tip, seems to work so far.