Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My quest

wamcei

Well a little update on my training. I have been going hard on my dry fire doing about an hour a day maybe more 6 days a week. I am a religious person so Sunday's are my day of rest.

Got my draw down to a .8 par time (really excited about this)

Reloads are finally being done properly need to work on speed (I see a ton of Burkett drills in the near future)

Transitions are still going slow and I mean turtle slow!!!

Ordered all of Ben's books off of amazon just waiting for them to come in. Can't wait for them. I need more drills to do cause following Steve's book (although a great book in itself) gets truly boring and I think it is making me complacent with just doing the drills. I know I need to push harder.

A bit frustrated cause my par times aren't dropping like they were before [emoji15] I am assuming it is like any other learned skill it has its peaks and valleys.

Will do another video here soon as soon as I get a new camera or phone :(

That's pretty awesome to be able to beat a .8 par with any draw.

The better you get the harder it gets to get better.

I'll suggest some grippers, captains of crush are awesome Glocks are a very light pistol making them recoil more than say a CZ or Witness. that strong grip can't hurt. That will help your sight tracking for those follow up shots too. the biggest weakness of dryfire for those learning the first time is it doesn't "test" your grip strength or consistency.

As for gen 3 or Gen 4. see which one fits YOUR hand the best, gen 3 glocks I can't use, period, they are just strangely shaped for my hand, gen 4 the top doesn't bite my hand and the gun doesn't point to the left like a gen 3 does. ..

Now that the draw is fast. work on consistency :) perfect every time :)

That's pretty awesome to be able to beat a .8 par with any draw.

The better you get the harder it gets to get better.

I'll suggest some grippers, captains of crush are awesome Glocks are a very light pistol making them recoil more than say a CZ or Witness. that strong grip can't hurt. That will help your sight tracking for those follow up shots too. the biggest weakness of dryfire for those learning the first time is it doesn't "test" your grip strength or consistency.

As for gen 3 or Gen 4. see which one fits YOUR hand the best, gen 3 glocks I can't use, period, they are just strangely shaped for my hand, gen 4 the top doesn't bite my hand and the gun doesn't point to the left like a gen 3 does. ..

Now that the draw is fast. work on consistency :) perfect every time :)

Thanks Steve! I truly appreciate all your help you have been giving me! Right now I have my eyes on a Witness Match or a 92. Got to shoot both of these over the past week and let me say WOW! I truly am liking the weight of a metal frame over the polymer. I seem to have a lot more control. I am leaning towards a 92 though as it felt more comfortable in my hand. Though I know EVERYONE is going to tell me go for the Tanfoglio lol. But, I never liked follow the leader I always found what works for me and made it the best I could!

To training: got Ben's books this week and things are making so much more sense on all fronts! I understand why I am doing certain drills now.

Live fire training:

At the range the guy shooting next to me thought I was nuts! I was slow firing into the backstop guess what I was doing????? Trying to follow my sights. He watched me empty my 19 over 6 mags and when I turned around he was laughing. Then I explained what I was doing and it was a light bulb went off in his head lol. Got to shoot a "stage" this past weekend as I was invited into a private range and I had a blast. Transitions are still turtle slow but I could see my sights most of the time.

Dry Practice:

Took a break and only dry Practiced twice this week along with 2 days at the range. But, I spend almost all my time trying to work drills on transitions. This is driving me nuts as I can't seem to gain speed. Trying to shoot 2 and as soon as the second shot breaks get my eyes to the next target and allow the sights to follow. But, it doesn't seem to be working! Everytime I can honestly say the first shot would have been a C or a D!! HELP please!

Sounds like your focusing a lot on speed. It's great to see improvement. but getting a consistent equal par time to me is more important than a sporadic super fast par time. make sure your using your weak hand to drive or push your gun to the next target. ( working wide transitions) short ones there isn't much driving to be done just nudging.

Sounds like your focusing a lot on speed. It's great to see improvement. but getting a consistent equal par time to me is more important than a sporadic super fast par time. make sure your using your weak hand to drive or push your gun to the next target. ( working wide transitions) short ones there isn't much driving to be done just nudging.

Oh I think I follow you. I have my targets as far apart as I can one on either side of my family room about 24'. And as soon as I squeeze the second shot move my eyes and as I am resetting trigger drive with my weak hand to next target. Is that correct thinking???

Well took Steve Moneypenny advice and quit focusing on speed but focusing on getting a good grip and basic fundamentals. Still having a hard time "pushing" the gun to the next target. Having a hard time getting my eyes to get to the next target before my gun. I shoot 2, move my eyes and gun together. I was told my eyes should be on the target before the gun gets there. Can't seem to figure out how this works. (A bit frustrated) I think this has to be something that happens with practice.

Well I need to find a new place to shoot over the winter. The indoor range I have been going to has changed their policy and I can no longer draw from the holster or have multiple targets anymore :( does anyone else have this problem and if so how do you practice live fire? Do you have drills that you do? If so could you please share?

Won't be practicing much the next few weeks. Have a lot of real life happening right now. But after the holidays I plan on spending at least 2 hours a day on dry practice and about 200-300 rounds a week at the range.

Got a free reloading press and about 1500 rounds of ammo to load so I am rather excited about that. Even though it is a Lee Pro 1000 and I hear they aren't very good it is better than nothing and it is FREE lol. Worked a load a few weeks ago with one heck of a great guy who runs one of our local matches ( TY Roger)

My first centerfire handgun purchase was a 9mm Browning Hi-Power.

I bought that new in 1963, for $75 - Gil Hebard mailed it to my

house in New Jersey - still have the gun, with a few mods.

Bought a 2nd BHP about 7 years ago - the last one made by EGW -

with all the extras (magwell, beavertail, melted Bomar's, fantastic

trigger, etc.

BUT, 6 years ago, I got into OPEN - bought two TruBor's in 9mm

major. Really don't shoot the BHP's much anymore - really LOVE

the OPEN guns.

p.s. Get to bed - it's not even 4:00 a.m. :roflol:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

I agree. If you can still "see the sights", stick with iron sights for a while - learn

the basics.

When you start to lose the ability to focus on the rear sights, the front sight and

the target - simultaneously - good time to get into OPEN.

BTW, shooting OPEN for a season really helped me speed up with iron sights -

made me a better shooter all around. :cheers:

Well I was at the range today. And had a MAJOR breakthrough!!!! Was doing bill drills first one came in at 3.03 seconds. 2nd came in at 2.88 seconds and here is my last one all hits were in the A zone :

Shot # Elapsed Time Split Time

1 1.22 1.22

2 1.48 0.26

3 1.76 0.28

4 2.13 0.37

5 2.49 0.36

6 2.78 0.28

SureFire, LLC.

The World's Finest Illumination Tools[emoji768].

http://www.surefire.com

As you can see I am really happy that I got my drill down that far this fast. Now I know my splits aren't that good and my draw was a bit slow.

Bob Taylor

Well this week I took a break. With my new job and some health concerns with my wife practicing was the last thing on my mind. This week I have decided to wait for my new pistol before I start up again. I am no longer going to be a Glock guy when it comes to competition. I will now shoot a Springfield XDM 9mm! I fell in love with this gun! 4.5" match grade barrel, excellent trigger, the way it feels in my hands, and most of all it was free!!!!!

I shot today 4 different guns before deciding on the Springfield. Rock River 1911 (not my cup of tea), Glock 17&34 loved them both, but I fell in love with the XDM! Nice tight groups! It should be here on Thursday November 20th and can't wait! Will keep you all posted :)

Well I need to find a new place to shoot over the winter. The indoor range I have been going to has changed their policy and I can no longer draw from the holster or have multiple targets anymore :( does anyone else have this problem and if so how do you practice live fire? Do you have drills that you do? If so could you please share?

I took a class from Ben Stoeger this weekend. I was impressed when he said that for 4 months over the winter in Wisconsin he does NO live fire -- all dry fire -- and he returns to live fire even stronger in the spring. I kind of feel like a wuss because living in Atlanta I could shoot most weekends outdoors, but I don't because its too cold. Anyway, you could probably keep making progress even if you can't draw at your local range....

I took a class from Ben Stoeger this weekend. I was impressed when he said that for 4 months over the winter in Wisconsin he does NO live fire -- all dry fire -- and he returns to live fire even stronger in the spring. I kind of feel like a wuss because living in Atlanta I could shoot most weekends outdoors, but I don't because its too cold. Anyway, you could probably keep making progress even if you can't draw at your local range....
I can't live fire much right now but then again it is to damn cold outside lol no way in H E double hockey sticks am I going to shoot in this weather :P like I said to a guy today. I don't care about not being able to draw at the range cause I feel the draw can be done in dry practice training. Sure it would be nice but with dry practice u can do 1000 draws dry to every 1 live if that makes sense. I am under the impression that I can practice everything in dry practice except recoil control. But, with recoil control I "practice" this by strengthening my grip. Grip exercises are the key to being able to control recoil as long as perfect foundations are being utilized. So dry practice away is what I will do until spring then I will light up the ranges. All except Wednesday evenings as one of our local clubs set up a course and I use that as practice.

• 4 weeks later...

Well it has been a while since I posted. A bit about what is going on. First off took a few weeks off as I was working to many hours and was also sick off and on for 3 weeks. Now with holidays here and all it has been rough training. But, I still manage the 15 minute drill 4 times a week. Haven't been to the range since my new Springfield blew up on me!!!

I did some goal setting for some short term and long term goals. As some of you know I am unclassified as of this point so The goals are as follows:

Short term:

1) achieve a classification of at least a C class in USPSA.

A) dry practice 7 days a week

a) 4 days full routine from Steve Anderson's book

B) 3 days doing Ben Stoeger's 15 minute routine book

Doing both books as I want to change things up so dry practicing doesn't become boring.

B) @ least 400 rounds a week at the range

a) 200 following ben Stoegers skills and drills

B) 200 doing marksmanship shooting

C) receive organized training from an accomplished shooter.

a) have been in contact with several individuals concerning cost and such

B) set the time to achieve this portion

D) shoot local matches at least 3 weekends a month

a) once season begins again

B) try to get off work to go help setup

E) strength training

a) upper body workout including grip strength

B) cardio

Long term goal 2015

Become a High B low A class shooter by the end of the season.

A) keep following my short term goal training plans

B) hopefully find some way of cutting costs to continue shooting

C) upgrade my shooting gear.

a) competition holster

B) competition mag pouches

c) prescription shooting glasses

d) proper bullet setup for production division

So do these goals seem acceptable and attainable I truly believe I can do it! First local match isn't until late march early April so I think I can do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk