Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My quest

wamcei

Been dry practicing at home. I am a very new shooter to the world of competitive shooting. Got my hands on Steve Anderson's book and I am rolling. My initial par times were horrid! I started all this on 9/28/2014 and my par times have dropped over a second on some of the drills but most I average .8 second decrease in skills. I have done every drill in the book every day except Sunday's. And see myself seeing the target better every day!

I've been shooting for 61 years, and you're way ahead of me - I can't

force myself to dry fire, no matter what.

Now you should get out to the range, before it gets any colder, and

test your techniques with live ammo.

Congratulations, and I hope you make it to GM in a couple years. :cheers:

Here is another question. To those that have taken classes on competitive shooting did you find them beneficial? Were you able to videotape them so you could use it as a reference? There is a GM shooter in my area that offers classes and have been considering taking a few lessons from him. Any info on this would be appreciated!

I've taken two 2-day courses with GM's.

Both were very good, informative.

If you haven't taken any, I'd suggest it will probably be worth it ...

The 2nd course I took consisted of shooting the Dot Torture Drill

for an entire day - could have done that alone. Still, I did learn

some things during the 2nd day.

Depends on how much the $4-500 means to you. You will learn,

and can ask questions.

A problem is that most of the instruction tends to be basic - which

might be good if you're just beginning. Neither course offered

much in the way of shooting on the move, which is a real time

saver.

Shooting with better shooters who will answer questions/offer

suggestions is a Great Way to improve. (If you get squadded

with a GM, be sure NOT to interfere with his shooting plan).

I've shot with a shooter a little better than me, and he keeps

pushing me to "push the envelope" a little - great breakthrough

came when he challenged me to "shoot on the move" - not

stopping for targets, but walking and shooting at the same time.

I couldn't believe how much that improved my time:) :cheers:

Well an update on my training.

Working hard on dry fire skills. Did a few hundred rounds live fire yesterday. What I have taken away from these drills.......

1) I need a TON of practice on catching the sights upon my draw. They are there but taking me SO long to find them!

Any good drills to help me on this???????

2) there is a major delay in acquiring the sights on a double tap. Need to learn to shoot with a cadence instead of bang bang,,,,bang bang. It needs to be bang, bang, bang, bang

3) need to learn to slow down and don't over shoot my sights. I seem to speed up as I go and end up with deltas and mikes instead of shooting those Alphas

That is the few things I can recognize myself. Hoping I can get someone at the match this weekend to video tape me so I can break it down more.

On a good note! My core classifier dry fire skills are greatly and I mean greatly improving! Since I started my training I have shaved almost a full second off of my times on several drills with an overall average on all drills with a decrease of .8 I am stoked!

Shot my first ever match yesterday. Let me say this I see where I need a TON of practice on and possibly some better equipment. Some self observations I have about my performance:

1) I need to slow down and take a deep breath. I am no world class shooter so quit acting like you can shoot like one!!!

2) keep your emotions in check! I was thrown off my game when I got "stung" from a piece of steel in a VERY sensitive area on the male body. And performed lousy after that! Including a DQ :(

3) Equipment wise I need to get my holster away from my body. All I have is my conceal carry holster and well that isn't going to fly! I don't know how many times I drew and grabbed some of my spare tire and pinched myself! What is that piece called that I saw the other production competitors using? It extended the holster about an inch and a half away from the body? My mag holsters are great for IDPA but I need to perform better reloads so the A class shooter that was helping me showed me some mag holsters that are adjustable so I need to get me some!!!lol And lastly my pistol! I think I need to get a longer slide I love my Glock 19 but I was told with s full size pistol such as the 34 and 17L I would be able to hit those long range shots more consistently. Is that true? I am thinking of looking into a EAA Witness or even the 34 not sure which to go with. All I know is if and when I change my pistol it is going to have to be one I love cause I can't afford anything more lol

4) I need to practice my long range shooting! 7-10 yards I did awesome! But after that I stunk up the joint and I mean I stunk it up!!!! I need to find a range that is further that 30 feet!!? And one that will let me practice from the holster. I learned today that there is a winter action shoot league at a range about 45 minutes from me on Mondays evenings so I might go and check that out for some practice. And also one of the local clubs on Wednesdays set up stages through out the winter at their indoor ranges well this local club is about an hour from me. So I will go there and shoot also weather permitting of course!

Lastly I had a blast even dqing on the second to last string on the last stage because I was mad at myself! Lesson learned now I will NEVER do that again!!! So practice harder, smarter and I see where I need to greatly improve! Oh one thing that happened while shooting a stage which I am proud of: for the first time I was able to track my sights while shooting! I could actually follow it up and right back into the sight picture! That is a major accomplishment for me!!!

Edited by wamcei

Wow. You learned a LOT from one match. :bow:

In my opinion, better equipment is definitely worth it - makes it

easier for YOU to improve.

I just shot my first match in 6 months, yesterday, and blew a

stage by "shooting too fast" - a real beginner's mistake.

After shooting for 60 years, I still can't "track my sights" - kudos.

Yes, 7-10 yards is a great start, but you have to learn to hit

targets twice that far, quickly.

You're doing great :cheers:

Sounds like you have a game plan, getting better should come fairly quick especially if you are using Steve's book. Just notes from personal experience in no particular order.

Better equipment is nice but it is not mandatory. Run what you brung is a saying for a reason. If you do want to upgrade I would ask around to your local guys and see if you can borrow different kinds of holsters and pouches before you decide to buy anything. Most of us end up with box full of stuff we didn't click with.

That Glock 19 is more than enough gun to get proficient with. Again I say run it for now and see if any local guys will let you try out their guns. Most of us jumped from different platforms as well, that also adds to the box of holsters.

Yes, a longer sight radius will make longer distance shots easier. It's the Indian and not the arrow. I have seen many a shooter use a 19 or even a 26 and run them very well.

If you want to buy another gun do so to your hearts content. But it also depends on what you want to shoot. A Glock 17L is not on the production approved list.

That holster part you asked about is a DOH, Dropped and Offset Holster.

Gives us a little more information about sport and division you would like to pursue and we can make better recommendations.

Good luck and stay safe.

What I was meaning by new equipment I am speaking of an off set. Something to move my holster away from my body a bit. My actual holster needs replaced cause technically it is broke. It is a Blackhawk with a thumb release well the thumb release broke off. It still retains but is broke. What holster would be good? Was thinking of staying in production for the time being until I see how well I progress. I was thinking of getting the one holster set over at Ben Stoegers sight

https://www.benstoegerproshop.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=Boss-Kit would this be good for production? Others are telling me to go to limited and just buy 17 or 34 mags but I am unsure I want to go that way. I got a pm telling me about the 17L they suggested the 34.

Maybe new sights would work better for me as I am still using Glock OEM sights :( What ones would you all suggest? Was thinking of these https://www.benstoegerproshop.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=TTI-Glock-Sights would these work?

But, then again limited is so tempting as I can adjust the frame to fit my smallish hands, not have to reload as much with bigger mags. As you see I am very conflicted!! But now since the local season is over I have until April to gather the bits and pieces I need and decide where I want to shoot.

Stoeger's Holster Hanger has worked well for me as an offset. I use it with a Bladetech holster. Much better than the Bladetech drop offset thing, which actually positioned the gun too far from the belt (illegal in USPSA)

Stoeger's Holster Hanger has worked well for me as an offset. I use it with a Bladetech holster. Much better than the Bladetech drop offset thing, which actually positioned the gun too far from the belt (illegal in USPSA)

Thank you I will definitely consider this :)

. TY I will definitely consider this!

That production kit looks like it has everything you need in a one stop shop. His hanger is a fantastic attachment an the ghost and be set up for bullets out, a plus in production. The TTI sights are well made and are DLC coated so no rust and the fiber is at the very top of the sight. Definitely won't go wrong there. IF you do decide to stick with glocks get a holster for a 34 it will fit most of the other ones.

As for a recommendation, here is what I would do knowing what I know now. Stick with production, the G19 is fine for it, get some sights for it preferably tru-glos since it seems like you carry the gun, leave it stock except for the sights, get holster and pouches preferably used, troll the classifieds here or ask around locally, 5 G17 magazines for use with your G19 since it still fits in the box and the weight shouldn't put you over the limit and it gives you a little more grip.

This way I could train with the gun I carry, try out other platforms before I purchase a gun that I have to "love", and save up some money for said gun. But remember, the price of the gun is not the expensive part. That is the accessories, ammo, match fees, travel, lodging, training. See if you can try before you buy. You might fall in love with that guys new Accu-Shadow or the Stock 2 that other guys runs.

That production kit looks like it has everything you need in a one stop shop. His hanger is a fantastic attachment an the ghost and be set up for bullets out, a plus in production. The TTI sights are well made and are DLC coated so no rust and the fiber is at the very top of the sight. Definitely won't go wrong there. IF you do decide to stick with glocks get a holster for a 34 it will fit most of the other ones.

As for a recommendation, here is what I would do knowing what I know now. Stick with production, the G19 is fine for it, get some sights for it preferably tru-glos since it seems like you carry the gun, leave it stock except for the sights, get holster and pouches preferably used, troll the classifieds here or ask around locally, 5 G17 magazines for use with your G19 since it still fits in the box and the weight shouldn't put you over the limit and it gives you a little more grip.

This way I could train with the gun I carry, try out other platforms before I purchase a gun that I have to "love", and save up some money for said gun. But remember, the price of the gun is not the expensive part. That is the accessories, ammo, match fees, travel, lodging, training. See if you can try before you buy. You might fall in love with that guys new Accu-Shadow or the Stock 2 that other guys runs.

Actually the 19 has retired from carry since I inherited my fathers 26. But thank you for the information I truly appreciate it! I think I will lean this way also :)

Once I do get finances together for a better pistol to use I believe I will go with the 34. What can I say I love shooting a Glock. This is the gun I learned how to shoot on and a 1911/2011 feels uncomfortable in my hand. (But don't tell anyone I like an EAA Witness a ton also shhhhhh though) lol I have several guns that are just taking up space in the vault so I honestly was think of trading in some and get myself a 34. Can't part with my 19 she is the 4th love of my life behind my wife my kids and my mom.

Actually the 19 has retired from carry since I inherited my fathers 26. But thank you for the information I truly appreciate it! I think I will lean this way also :)

Once I do get finances together for a better pistol to use I believe I will go with the 34. What can I say I love shooting a Glock. This is the gun I learned how to shoot on and a 1911/2011 feels uncomfortable in my hand. (But don't tell anyone I like an EAA Witness a ton also shhhhhh though) lol I have several guns that are just taking up space in the vault so I honestly was think of trading in some and get myself a 34. Can't part with my 19 she is the 4th love of my life behind my wife my kids and my mom.

Glock 34 is he way to go. Let me know when you're ready to transition, and I'll work with you on getting it tricked out and ready to shoot in competitions on a budget.

As far as dry fire drills and stance, etc, I'll link some videos that have helped us here.

Bob Vogel about drawing

Jerry Miculek in general about stance

Jerrk Miculek about speed and accuracy

http://benstoeger.comis also a good resource for dry-fire drills, etc.

Glock 34 is he way to go. Let me know when you're ready to transition, and I'll work with you on getting it tricked out and ready to shoot in competitions on a budget.

As far as dry fire drills and stance, etc, I'll link some videos that have helped us here.

Bob Vogel about drawing

Taran thank you so much! Was at a gun shop today looking at the 34 and started drooling. Talking with the boss (my wife) about trading some guns in for one :)

Would you go with a gen 3 or a gen 4?

I have Steve's book on dry firing and recently has been following the 15 minute dry fire drill setup I found on these forums. Was looking at getting Ben's Champion Shooting Vol 1 & 2. Also got Matt Burkett's video given to me and been watching that.

Bob Vogel about drawing

Taran thank you so much! Was at a gun shop today looking at the 34 and started drooling. Talking with the boss (my wife) about trading some guns in for one :)

Would you go with a gen 3 or a gen 4?

I have Steve's book on dry firing and recently has been following the 15 minute dry fire drill setup I found on these forums. Was looking at getting Ben's Champion Shooting Vol 1 & 2. Also got Matt Burkett's video given to me and been watching that.

Gen 3. They're a lot easier to get a good trigger on. Unless you're a left who needs the ambi-mag release, we generally recommend gen 3s. Make sure when you do, get a good grip reduction and stipple ( whether it's us or someone else ) to help that gun not sit so high up on your hand. The back-hump on the Glock sort of forces the muzzle up, and it's really irritating to adjust to from other platforms. That's why getting a good grip reduction and stipple ( if you're not shooting production ) is the most important mod right after you get the gun. You want to gun to work with you, not you constantly having to work against the gun.

I was thinking of production but everyone I talk to suggests I go limited. With a 34 and the extra rounds it would be cool to not have to reload 3-4 times a stage lolol. Plus throw a few magazine extensions on there would help a lot also. Thank you for the advice friend :)

I was thinking of production but everyone I talk to suggests I go limited. With a 34 and the extra rounds it would be cool to not have to reload 3-4 times a stage lolol. Plus throw a few magazine extensions on there would help a lot also. Thank you for the advice friend :)

No problem! Like I said, let me know when/if you're ready to make the jump. I can give you a pretty good new shooter/enos discount on a fully tricked out G34. That goes for all of you enos guys, BTW.