Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shaving Lead Bullets? Bayous...

Magsz

Have loaded right at 500 of the Bayou 147gr coated in the XL650; and once I got the bell set properly on initial setup, have not had any bullet shaving whatsoever. And, I seat and crimp with the Redding Micrometer dies.

Any lead round will require a bit larger bell when compared to FMJ, etc.....

HR

The rounds ran and grouped just fine this past weekend so im going to call this one fixed.

The pulled rounds DO have damaged coating though but they are NOT being crushed by the final crimp station so i guess im just going to have to deal with this.

I may switch to BBI's as their coating doesnt seem to flake/peel AT ALL.

I use a seating die to get bullets in to the correct depth, then a separate crimp die in the final position on my Dillon 650. Previously, seating and crimping in one operation would consistently shave lead on alloy bullets, or damage the coating on any other non-jacketed bullets.

Before you give up try unscrewing the seating die body about 2 to 3 turns and re-setting the seating depth. Your die is trying to crimp the case as you are seating the bullet. Some of those dies start to taper toward the top and this will cause the problem you are having. Just try this and see what happens. Also make sure that you are not belling so much that the case is making contact with the seating die when it tries to enter the mouth of the die. Little flecks of brass all over the shell plate would be an indication of this.

Edited by bowenbuilt

No flecks of brass anywhere gents.

I seat and "crimp" in two separate stations as i am using the Dillon Factory dies.

Also Bowen,i went ahead and adjusted the OAL twice, so i essentially "reset" the die as you described. The coating is still coming off of the bullets so its either a weak coating or my machine is just not as precisely calibrated as it should be. It could be either and its really not a huge deal to me since i cannot really blame the bullets yet i CAN blame myself. I simply cant get the thing set up anymore precisely so no big deal.

Im not dealing with excessive smoke or fouling (yet) so until that happens, some minor removal of the coating isnt a huge deal. I still may switch to BBI's for peace of mind.

I still may switch to BBI's for peace of mind.

You may want to try a sample pack of Ibejiheads coated lead bullets. Out of all the coated lead bullets I have tried, and I have probably tried just about all of them by now, they have the thickest most uniform coating I have seen.

• 1 month later...

Yes, the 147 grain bayous. I was using the standard Dillon dies though. I messed with the bell, using one head stamp of brass, and I never could get it to work. I may get 9 in a row that would seat without shaving, but then the tenth would shave. One thing I've heard worked is to use the DAA expander instead of the Dillon expander. It's normally used with the Mr. Bullet feeder, and takes the place of your expander in the powder die.

johnsons1480:

Noticed that to prevent any shaving with 135/147gr 9mm coated lead bullets, a larger bell was definitely needed. Same requirements with 200gr coated SWC in 45acp. My biggest complaint was with the cases dragging while entering the mouth of the Redding Micrometer die during seating.

Had a great discussion with "razorfish" after seeing his video of loading with the Mr. Bullet Feeder, and he highly recommended the DAA/MBF powder funnel for case expansion. I purchased one, and after getting it set up per the MBF installation video, have to say I should have done this a long time ago! It truly makes sitting the bullet down into the case a simple process vs sitting it on the belled mouth and hoping it stayed aligned during seating. And, by not having such a "bowl" shape to the case mouth, there's no scraping/dragging of the case mouth during entry to the Redding Micro seater. Also pulled several of my test rounds, and noticed there was zero scraping of the bullet or coating during seating.

This was loading the 135gr Bayou's; but I feel confident it will work just as well with the 147gr. Am also ordering the MBF funnel for the 45acp setup.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

I only load the 125 gr TC's from Bayou on a 550 with Dillon dies, but did anyone bother to call Donnie Miculek and ask for his advice?

Yes. He told me to try more bell. I tried belling out as far as .400, and worked back in and never found a working bell using federal headstamps.

I'm just curious here. If you bell the case mouth, IE move the sharp edge of the case mouth away from the bullet up to .400 then how could you possibly have it touch the bullet while seating it? Unless the seating die is crimping the case as the bullet moves into the case how could the sharp edge of the case ever make contact with the coating? I have never experienced this phenomena so I am really curious as to how this happens. It would seem damn near impossible as long as the proper powder through expander is being used. If you can figure out how the belled case mouth gets moved back into the bullet before it goes to the taper crimp die please let us know. The length or type of coated lead bullet should have no effect on this as you would still have to somehow move a surface which is opposing, move in the opposite direction with nothing influencing the move or actually turning the sharp edge of the case mouth into the coating on the bullet before it stops in the seating process.

The only way this could happen is if the bullets are not sitting up straight in the case as they are entering the seating die or the seating die is tapered causing the case to be crimped before the bullets stops moving. I would try another seating die to see if the taper is not the problem.

Edited by bowenbuilt

I don't know Bowenbuilt. I believe the bullets weren't being seated straight due to what hogrider stated above. I was using the fp seating stem instead of the round nose. I was getting about 90% no shaving, then one would shave. I can't attribute that to improper bell, or it would have likely showed up more often. I don't have any more 147s to try flipping the seating stem with. I'm about to try out some 124 grains and see if I like them.

If people are having the same issues with 135s, and I have never had an issue with shaving 135s, it's likely this was a seating stem profile issue.