Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major CFE

SilverBolt

Just got a new Cameron's 9-Major open gun and did some testing with CFE Pistol yesterday. This is my first open gun so I don't have anything to compare to. I tested two powders CFE & 3N37. Using 124gr Montana Gold Hollow Points, Federal SP Match Primers, once fired brass. COL 1.16".

Initial CFE load 7.1gr gave me a 10 round average of 1360fps 168.6 PF. At 15 yards aiming at the center of the A-zone the dot jumped off the paper. Very snappy feel.

7.5gr gave me a 10 round average of 1427fps 177 PF. This load the dot stayed on the paper but climbed to the upper A. Did not feel as snappy.

7.9gr gave me a 10 round average of 1460fps 181 PF. Major signs of over pressurization. Very flat primers. Too hot!

My bet the sweet spot for this gun/powder combo with be 7.3gr. Plan to test that this weekend.

I liked the 3N37 a little better. The dot didn't dance nearly as much. I will post up the data from that tonight. I was really hoping the CFE was going to work better than it did. The powder meters extremely well and even at 7.9gr there is a bunch of room left in the case.

I liked the 3N37 a little better. The dot didn't dance nearly as much. I will post up the data from that tonight. I was really hoping the CFE was going to work better than it did. The powder meters extremely well and even at 7.9gr there is a bunch of room left in the case.

3n37 has much more gas volume. Granted, it fills the case all the way up, but it will work much better than CFE. It's hard on the hand, granted, but you need the gas volume for the comp to work properly.