Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

eaa wonder finish rusting

osis32

I have new witness elite match and I heard the bluing wasn't the greatest so I eezoxed it right away. I pulled it out of the case (yes I know not the best place to store a gun) and found the bluing was immaculate but the wonder finish seems to have some light brown speckling under the beaver tail and the top side of the frame right above the trigger guard. I feel guilt not eezoxing it now but I had read the wonder finish was actually pretty decent and shouldn't rust that easily. what I'm really curious about is if anyone else has experienced rust on their wonder finish. I deserve a berating so feel free haha.

1zz2xpt.jpg

w6y2br.jpg

sorry for the pic quality. not saying youre wrong kneeling. I say this with all respect but if thats crhome its the dullest chrome Ive ever seen. the side of the frame looks like a glossy stainless but the rest looks like something else. dunno if you can see it in the picture or not.

It's crazy how many rust issues I hear about on here. My guns get coated with sweat in the summer and never wiped down. Maybe it's the dry climate I live in that keeps em free of rust. Do you guys have dessicant packs in your safes?

• 2 weeks later...

I've never seen an Elite frame that gets used that does NOT have some degree of what looks like rust speckling under the beavertail, but yours looks worse than any I've seen.

I've never seen one around here with rust...

Being near the Ocean is hard on gun finishes as is storing one in the case. I was assigned to drive a Plymouth Reliant by my employer (back in the late eighties) which had been in LA for seven years and didn't have any paint left; it was down to the primer coat. It must have been cheap paint, but still, I think the Ocean is bad for finishes.

Its humid in the summer where I live now, so I use a dehumidifier in the same room as the gun safe with a Golden Rod ( I think its called- to warm the air in the safe) and haven't had any trouble in 17 years, although I'm going to start using this eezox stuff. I hear its good.