Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Indoor steel

danjordan78

Anyone running indoor steel at their clubs right now? I know it is big at some of the clubs in Europe and they have big indoor matches. I have a local club that is willing to let us try it. We are going to atart with rimfire and do some testing with it and then hopefully work our way up to centerfire.

Question is, what kind of stands are you using and how do you contain the splatter. The videos I have seen it looks like they use tires and heavy rubber. If your club is doing this, can you send me some pictures of your stands? I am sure we can come up with something, but why reinvent the wheel if there is something out there that works already!

Thanks.

At my club we often use some steel for indoor USPSA matches and also winter Steel matches. We have metal shrouds that surround each steel target (sometimes two). They are basically 3 1/8" plates. Two tall ones on each side and one on the top. It's kind of hard to explain, but there are rails on the top where the side slip into and hold it kind of like a A Frame. The front edges are bent around about 160 degrees in case a round hits it.

My club does a fun steel match indoors and the steel just hangs from cherry picker like stands, shrapnel isn't too bad...

Our range isn't nearly as beautiful as some of the european ranges, but as mentioned, there isn't anything to contain shrapnel and that seems to be OK. They repaint the walls occasionally. It does make for some excitement when fragments blast a fluorescent light tube.

They claim to enlist those who shoot the walls at the USPSA match to come and paint the walls, but I've only seen the DQ portion. Ours is a public range and due to "demographics" we wind up with a lot of bullet strikes on walls, floors, the ceiling, booths, etc during the normal course of operation. I feel much safer taking my chances against the steel and with excited people running with guns at the match on Thursday nights than stepping into a booth to practice.

Thanks all. Got a local mine to donate some old conveyor belt to protect the floor and cut down for hanging over the rectangle plates. Have some old tires for the circles. Will be making up some stands this week and trying them out. Will post pics or video when we get things working.

• 2 weeks later...