Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.308 Load Development with silencer

johnsons1480

I have a .308 bolt action Savage with an AAC 51t muzzle brake and an AAC 7.62 SDN 6 screwed on the end. My question is, if I plan to use the gun mostly with the silencer on, do I need the silencer on to do my load development? I suppose there is no reason not to have it on while doing load development, but I was just wondering if it was necessary.

A bolt action will always be quieter than a semi-auto no matter the caliber. You get a lot of noise from the action.

All loads development sub- sonic or otherwise should be done with the suppressor installed.

I wasn't loading for a semi auto 308. This is a new gun, and I will be trying Nosler 168 gr Ballistic Tip with Varget. What will the suppressor add to the loading equation? Or are you referring to cycling considerations in a semi auto with and without a can?

I run 44 gr of Varget with 168 gr match kings/167 gr Scenars with 24" barrel in my .308 and 43.5 H4350 in my 6.5 creedmoor also 24" barrel.....my SWR Specwar lowered POI by .5 mills in both guns....windage was unaffected. Yea, the bolt and cycling noise on the .300 BO in the AR platform is the nosiest part.

IMG_1102.MOV

Edited by DrawandDuck

With a good quality can and muzzle threading, a can will not hurt accuracy.

I say do load development with it on. Do which ever you feel the most comfortable with. I know I do all my shooting and load development with cans installed.

If you work up a load without a can and accuracy is good and stick a can on and groups open up, then there might be an issue.

I spent a couple days shooting with one guy with a Rem 700 mil spec shooting factory 175 gr ammo. He was doing OK but struggling some keeping groups down to 2 MOA at 300yd. About half way through the day, he comes back from his car with a suppressor and says he wonders if this will work better, he just got it and hadn't tried it out. He had to adjust his zero a bit but his shooting improved markedly that day.

In retrospect, I think that his shooting improved in large part because he was more relaxed. The reduced noise and better recoil control (and a slight change in position) made him much more consistent and reduced any tendency to flinch.

Mine shoots great groups with or without the can.....I just have a different dope cards for each. Attached group is with the can...just have to dial +.5, bout 2 1/4" up with it on. Can does calm the gun down quite a bit.

post-6763-0-86194700-1412804105_thumb.jp

Edited by DrawandDuck