Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel targets

I made these recently for long range rifle, they would work well for pistol too. They are AR500 3/8 thick and the same size as the ABC zone of an IPSC target. Got 56 total cut out of the material I had.

DSC00421Large.jpg

DSC00420Large.jpg

I work at a rock crushing mine so I get all the hard steel I can handle for steel targets. It's the late nights at the shop making the targets...(can you say 2 am after work?) that gets me now that I'm no longer so young and dumb. If any of you live near a concrete company that mines their own aggregates, they probably got tons of plates that came out of their crushers or chutes and hoppers that they'd let you have.

• 6 months later...

I have been building some steel targets of late and thought I would share our work. I have some video on our Facebook site of the plasma cam we are using to cut the plate (the link to the site is in my signature below). We are using mild steel for shotgun and handgun targets and AR500 for rifle and slug targets. The photos below are all mild steel. I have some flashers and 1/2 IPSC targets made with AR500, but no pics yet. I will post them as well.

post-21212-1263104035_thumb.jpg

post-21212-1263104206_thumb.jpg

post-21212-1263104216_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I made my own auto-reset poppers for rifle out of a grain truck leaf spring. Spring was 3.5" wide and I cut to a length of 14" to 16". Made bases out of mid steel and used old coil trap springs to auto-reset them.

The bases can't take a hit but top springs are tough. Spring was free, check with friends at scrap yards or that deal with heavy equipment.

Great practice targets for the money!