Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tumbling Question brass color?

micro

I use a rotary timber with stainless steel pins to tumble. I add a little Dawn soap, and a little Lemi-Shine to the water. I generally let the tumbler go for about 4 hours. Yesterday, I started the tumbler, and lost track of time and the casings tumbled for about 5 1/2 hours. The color of the casings were almost copper in compared to the 4 hour tumbled casings which were brass colored. My questions are: 1) what caused the color change? 2) are these copper colored brass cases still usable? I've attached a picture to show the difference.

post-56223-0-75651800-1412522351_thumb.j

Mine used to do that. I was using to much soap. Now I just get one case every once and a while that is more of a pink color, i just toss them. I don't think they are bad but 9 brass is free so not worth the hassle

I did have come discoloring on a batch of .45's but that was probably because I didn't rinse very well, and I used a toaster oven to dry 'em. Now I just rinse thoroughly and air dry, and I NEVER go more than a couple of hours. (we sound like a bunch of women complaining about their laundry)