Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shortest reliable 300blk?

steviesterno

hey all,

I know we're always figuring out the best set up for multi gun, but I'm wondering if any of you have come up with the shortest barrel/gas system for 300 BLK that will reliably cycle. looking to run it for HD and a couple of short range matches. I won't have a can for it for a whole, but the SBR should hold me over for now.

I ran a 10.5 and 11.5 barrel in 223, but I'm interested to see how short you can really make a mini upper that works.

thanks for the help!

I have an old 9 inch 300 Whisper that runs flawless with AA1680 or H110 and 175, 190 or 220 gn Sierras.

Shorter than that and I have heard of issues. To clear up the issues the gas port gets really big and accuracy can suffer.

Edited by Tom Freeman

.300blk burns 100% of it's powder within 9" of barrel (its actually a little less.) I run a 10.5 Noveske barrel with pistol gas that I have been very happy with. The round drops a bit at distance, but know your holds and it does quite well. I ring the steel flashers at my local club at 500 yards with ease.

I wouldn't run any shorter than 8.5" just because you are giving up velocity and burn rate. The .300blk was designed around a 9" barrel with pistol gas.

.300blk burns 100% of it's powder within 9" of barrel (its actually a little less.) I run a 10.5 Noveske barrel with pistol gas that I have been very happy with. The round drops a bit at distance, but know your holds and it does quite well. I ring the steel flashers at my local club at 500 yards with ease.

I wouldn't run any shorter than 8.5" just because you are giving up velocity and burn rate. The .300blk was designed around a 9" barrel with pistol gas.

This same train of thought would say don't do .223/5.56 in less than a 20" barrel. That's what it was designed for, you're giving up velocity, etc.

That should show how silly it is.

I've never heard any 300blk subsonic go off but my brain wants to compare it to the average 45acp 230 grain load. Also subsonic, also plenty loud. Not saying they sound similar just that subsonic doesn't mean quiet.

Edited by TonytheTiger

thanks for the help guys! I ended up with an RF 8.5" barrel with pistol gas for only $90! they do Green Mountain blanks, and I'm not trying to build a bench gun, so sub MOA isn't critical for this. Super short and easy to sling 30 rounds of 220gn was. We'll see how the build goes! Now I just need a gas tube and FF tube.