Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen II Guga Ribas holster

Noximus03

I've been using their mag pouches for years, and I love them. Just got the new design from the new US distributor, but I haven't tried them out yet, but I'm confident.

My question is has anyone used the new gen holster? It looks slimmed down from the first holster they put out. I had one for my Glock, but I'm interested to know if anyone has tried the new one for an STI?

You'd have to email them for a quote, but my guess would be in the mid/high $200's. It might be lower now that they're not using an all metal body/frame anymore. Regardless, it's just a guess.

Edited by Noximus03

I just met Ernie Hill at the Nationals and he has a table set up. Got to see the holster in person.

It is bigger than they original and felt heavy for a plastic holster. Looks like it's built to hold up to rough handling.

Will have to take a closer look at it tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got one to play around with (its not mine but the owner said see what I can do with it).

• It is larger than the Gen 1. From a weight standpoint, the Gen 1 weighs 11.975 oz. The Gen 2 weighs 11.725 oz.
  • Tension knob is on the inside vs the outside for the Gen 1. No detent on the Gen 2.
  • Same style of lock lever but no middle position.
  • There's a knob you can unloosen and pull on to adjust the height of the holster. It remains retained so no chance of losing the knob. The Gen 1 has a knob but the knob loosened up and the chance you would lose it is high. (I like this feature and I'm sure HI5-0 will also ;) )
  • A TON of adjustments. Not very intuitive. You should read the manual.
  • The distance the gun sits to the body/belt is the same between the Gen1 and 2 but the Gen 2 belt hanger is a bit thicker. Depending on how you have the gun angled, it reduces the gap between the gun and holster.
  • Its made to fit a variety of guns without having to buy extra parts.
  • With the amount of adjustments you can effectively minimize the rocking that's associated with several of the speed holsters that are out there.

Its a pretty good and nice looking holster. If I was entering the sport for the first time, I would get this holster.

As it stands, I'm good with the Gen 1 I have. It works for me and I'm too much of a cheap a$$ to pay for another high dollar holster.

Just got one to play around with (its not mine but the owner said see what I can do with it).

• It is larger than the Gen 1. From a weight standpoint, the Gen 1 weighs 11.975 oz. The Gen 2 weighs 11.725 oz.
  • Tension knob is on the inside vs the outside for the Gen 1. No detent on the Gen 2.
  • Same style of lock lever but no middle position.
  • There's a knob you can unloosen and pull on to adjust the height of the holster. It remains retained so no chance of losing the knob. The Gen 1 has a knob but the knob loosened up and the chance you would lose it is high. (I like this feature and I'm sure HI5-0 will also ;) )
  • A TON of adjustments. Not very intuitive. You should read the manual.
  • The distance the gun sits to the body/belt is the same between the Gen1 and 2 but the Gen 2 belt hanger is a bit thicker. Depending on how you have the gun angled, it reduces the gap between the gun and holster.
  • Its made to fit a variety of guns without having to buy extra parts.
  • With the amount of adjustments you can effectively minimize the rocking that's associated with several of the speed holsters that are out there.

Its a pretty good and nice looking holster. If I was entering the sport for the first time, I would get this holster.

As it stands, I'm good with the Gen 1 I have. It works for me and I'm too much of a cheap a$$ to pay for another high dollar holster.

I got one of these new holsters too, but I paid for it and I do like the height adjuster knob feature (won't lose it, again).

Mines did not come with the instruction sheet but Ernie Hill is sending me one in the mail. I watched the video on how to adjust it which helps a lot.

I think I'll like it because of the adjustments to keep the gun solid in the holster without it rattling around like the gen 1 version.

I bought one of these from Ernie Hill at the Nationals and had him set it up for an STI. When I started using it at a local match, I found I could pull the pistol out of the holster WHEN IT WAS LOCKED!! I then got out he manual, and a TON of adjustments is right - 43 I think, and pretty complex, but intuitive. If your front trigger-guard-to-frame screw is proud from the plastic grip fame, you will have to modify this screw so it no longer sits high from the frame; otherwise the pistol will not fit into the holster. If you adjust the holster for clearance on this screw without change, you will be able to pull the pistol out when the holster is locked. I have two STIs - one needed this modification and the other didn't. YMMV.