Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

iPhone6 Plus or Note 4/Edge?

So I've been debating on upgrading my iPhone 4 to a phablet. I was just about to pull the trigger on a pre-order iPhone6plus.. Until I read up on its specs. Besides the larger Screen I wasn't impressed that it seems only marginally better than an iphone5s. 8mb camera, 1080p display and 1gig of ram? Whereas the Note 4/edge will be coming out next month with what seems 2x amount of tech, 16mb camera, 4k display and 3 gigs of ram. But I've never owned an Android phone and thus have no clue what to expect or if the higher specs cover some underlining problems.

Couple things that I'm looking in a phone:

*Camera to record video, obviously I like to record my shooting. So image stabilization is a must, but both phones will have their own stabilization processers. So then Camera Quality comes into play.

*90% of what I use my phone for now for home and work is Emails and Text with a Phone call very rare and only for urgent matters. So being able to type one-handed ( I know I’m asking a lot for a phlabit ) would be nice.

*Internet surfing, yea do a lot of that..

*Durable phone. I seem to drop my iphone4 a lot.. and I haven't broken it outside of some small screen scratches mostly from my keys being in the same pocket as my phone most of the time.

*I will be paying full retail as I don't want to lose my Unlimited data plan through Verizon.

I would have gravated more to the Note4/edge if i didn't have a few concerns with it. One being that I have several hundreds of dollars in the Apple iStore worth of music and apps. Not a big deal as most can be converted over with my computer except for the Ballistic AE app.. The author has no interest what-so-ever to make an Android version of it and I didn't realize how dependent I've become on it at matches where long-range steel is a factor. And my Second issue is Bloat ware, as far as I know Apple doesn't allow bloat ware be placed on their phones from the Carriers, Samsung the other hand is a different story.

I figure if I asked here at Eno's I get a "less" biased answer to my question as any time I've ask question like this in other tech forums it just becomes a bashing fest about one or the other.

*note I won't do LG.

Edited by DocMedic

I picked up my 6 plus this morning and I have to say I really like it so far. I came from a 4s so it was a big jump for me in phone size and I was a little hesitant at first thinking the plus would be too big of a phone, but after using for just a few hours, I can say I would have a very hard time going back to a smaller screen now. There is just so much more real estate and it doesn't feel bulky in your hand at all. If you on the fence, go w/ the 6 plus, I'm happy I did.

I'm in the same boat but I've always used android. Always rooted my phone to make it do what I wanted, with this becoming harder or non existent I cannot decide. I was looking at the Galaxy S5 or the iPhone6 because I don't want a massive phone but I can see the advantages. My problem is I use google apps for everything and they integrate much better on android, however with Samsung adding their crap on top of android it makes the phone feel less polished. Apps are really not a concern but I do like a good shot timer app on the phone to practice my dryfire with.

So to me it's about ecosystem and software. I like how apple you get a smooth interface and guaranteed updates without bloatware. However Apple locks the phone down so I'm stuck using iTunes which I despise with a passion.

If I were you i'd stay with Apple. Apps alone like you said, you invested on those already and plus the ballistic app.

I have a galaxy S4. and an iPad. And it is redundant at times. iPad for bigger viewing screen, somewhat more polished UI with same app. I dont think you can do 1-hand operation on the Note 4 though. My s4 alone without any case its hard to type one handed, its doable but it has a few challenges (I wear a M glove).

I feel like getting a flipper phone after this and just get a iPad mini with cellular. Bigger viewing screen, takes care of all the emails and apps. I get more work done by not constantly pulling out my phone =)