Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sizing/depriming die question

New set of Dillon dies for a .45 ACP. (my first press, so I am learning things as I go) I noticed as I was looking at the depriming portion that the decapping pin was not set straight in the die. I took the die apart and removed the pin. As the die set came with an extra pin I put the new pin in place and snugged up the retaining cap, only to realize that the same issue is happening. The chances of two depriming pins not being straight is about 0% so i started looking at the other parts. The retaining cap appears to be machined ok, but the bottom of the decapping shaft is not machined flat at all and if I take the pin and set the pin on the shaft you can tell there is no way it will ever sit flush/flat. The bottom of the decapping shaft appears concave, but not uniformly.

I've called Dillon and described the issue. They are sending out a new depriming assembly rather than just the shaft.

My questions are;

Is the depriming shaft machined flat on the bottom or is it machined in any way?

If the bottom is not flat, is there any method you guys use to keep the pin straight and to keep it from going cocked to the side as you tighten down on the cap?

Thanks for the help.

Edited by mikeinctown

Ok here is a photo of what I am talking about. The bottom of the decapping shaft, which is labeled as #1 and has the arrow pointing to the area in question. On mine this is not machined and is concave, but is not uniform. Because #1 is not machined flat, when I tighten the pin (#3) with the cap (#2) the pin is skewed off center.

15034583397_e033fb0f79_b.jpg20140912_224538 by mikeinctown, on Flickr

Do you have a deprimed case? If so put it in the press and raise the shell plate. (Loosen the decapping pin first). With the shell plate up work the decapping pin into position and then lock things down. That may get things working for you.

You are going to need nimble little fingers to get into the case and tighten the cap (#2) while holding the pin straight with the flash hole !!! :roflol::roflol::roflol:

The Keebler elves don't even have fingers that small. When the pin is in the hole, the brass nut is inside the case. I'll just wait until I get the part from Dillon. I just wasn't sure if that mating surface was supposed to be machined smooth or not. On mine it just looks like they formed the threads and left the end however it wanted to be after thread forming.