Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speed loader reload times

Round_Gun_Shooter

Mine are in the four second range, but I do them the old-fashioned way, using HKS loaders. I'm right handed. Hit the cylinder latch, push cylinder open with left hand fingers, gun goes vertical muzzle up in left hand, right hand SMACKS the ejector rod, right hand then reaches under shirt/vest/jacket behind holster and grabs loader, gun goes vertical muzzle down in left hand, loader comes up to cylinder and ammo is inserted, loader is dropped as cylinder closes.

I could cut a bunch of time off the reload if I used different carriers and had them in front of the holster, and used the left thumb to eject the empties, but I'm coordinationally challenged ;) and don't want to learn one way for the street and one way for the range.

I am neither a WG nor a WGIT, nor do I play one on TV.

The reason I asked, I have been practicing. I use the S L Variant loaders and have them adjusted to my Model 66 pretty close.

I practice during dry fire with a timer. I have the timer beep, wait 2 seconds, then beep. I have been able to consistantly dump 6, reload and be back on my target as the 2 second beep goes off. I need to get faster in practice so I can be sure of 2.5 to 3 second loads.

I am looking for practice help I guess :wacko:

Regards,

Gary

Hi Gary,

A couple of steel shooters over here shoot 686s with jetloaders. I've seen them do 1.7s reloads, but normally they run about 2.2-2.7s.

What kind of trouble are you running into with the speedloaders. Under 2 seconds seems very solid!

BTW, I've looked into the Longwitz speedloaders and haven't found any. I don't shoot speedloader guns myself, so I might not know where to look exactly.

Bjorn

Hi Gary,

What kind of trouble are you running into with the speedloaders. Under 2 seconds seems very solid!

BTW, I've looked into the Longwitz speedloaders and haven't found any. I don't shoot speedloader guns myself, so I might not know where to look exactly.

Bjorn

Bjorn,

Thanks for checking on the loaders. I was able to get some here in the US but they will no longer be selling any here. If you find a web site, let me know. Longwitz is the maker of the S L Variant.

As for the problems, it is mainly consistancy. I know that will come with more practice, but I was wondering where I need to get and be happy.

I think you have answered my question. I need to keep working and if I can set the timer at 1.5 and complete the load, I will be better off.

Thanks,

Gary

Round Gun, 2 seconds consistantly is good. I will be shooting a match this weekend and using my Speedloader gun so I'll try to get some reload times in match condidtions. I use the Jet or Safarilland loaders. I think you will find them better than the Variant, especially if you modify them some. I tried the 2 second on the timer to see if I could get back on target with a reload. :( Nope need to practice some more. :o I used to be pretty smoooth with the Speed loaders. I will let you know how the stuff goes this weekend. later rdd

Just be careful that you don't set the time too low. 1.5s is super fast. I would have to "go for it" too try and beat 1.5s. I would lose my consistency that way. Try setting the timer at 2.5s and beat it on demand. Play with how easily you can beat that time. Try to do 2.5s as relaxed as you can, then lower the time. This kind of training will improve consistency and will get you below 2 before you know it :)

Since yesterday I've been shooting revo (taurus 689VR 6") using S.L. Variant Longwitz speedloaders - great gear. My best reload time was about 2,8s - not too good but I've started shoothing revo in May '04. I purchased these speedloaders in Prague, the price was about 25 Euro. I sold my taurus and now I'm waiting for S&W 625 5".

Best regards from Poland

Leszek

Since yesterday I've been shooting revo (taurus 689VR 6") using S.L. Variant Longwitz speedloaders - great gear. My best reload time was about 2,8s - not too good but I've started shoothing revo in May '04. I purchased these speedloaders in Prague, the price was about 25 Euro. I sold my taurus and now I'm waiting for S&W 625 5".

Best regards from Poland

Leszek

Thanks for the info. I will head to the range this weekend for a real test rather than my dry fire practice.

Regards,

Gary

Gary, I will not be much to gauge against. I shot the match today but had a hard time to get my reload times. So after the match I shot some for reloading times. I was not as smooth as when I was shooting the match and all felt extremely jerky. Times:

I did not start preping the trigger until I was on target. But if you get the trigger moving as you come up it will shave a couple of tenths off your times.

Only in Oklahoma can it be 60 an 70 degrees on Thursday and Friday then 28 degrees the time of a match on Saturday. :D Brrrr!!! I will do some dryfiring reload practice and go again later. rdd

Thanks,

I am taking the advice posted by Spook and going for consistant 2.5. Went to the range today but with the snow, wind, and 22 degree temps, it was not good to gauge times so I just worked on 25 yard accuracy.

We are expecting 24+ inches tonight so I have a lot of dry fire time ahead.

Thanks again for the help,

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't manage anything faster than 2.5 seconds with Safariland CII loaders for my 686. Somehow, one piece of brass just doesn't want to eject and i have to ram it out.. Cylinder bores are clean too. Just not as nice as a moonclipped gun.

Gary, Did you get to get some shooting done yet? Just got back from Tontitown, Arkansas. Mike Runs a monday night ICORE match. Only got times on two reloads, At about 10 to 15 yards 3.05 A zone/10 ring hit on a Bianchi target. The other was a reload switch to weak hand 3.59, had trouble finding the dot. A hit in the B zone/8ring brings a 1 second time added so you really have to be on target. After the match Mike, Fred and I were discussing speedloaders and the IDPA legal holders. You must remeber the old Dade loaders. I would think they would be better than the Comp II's and fit in the legal holders. What are your thoughts? I am not an IDPA shooter, got no IDPA legal gun except for a couple of 686+'s and no loaders for them. And you can't set them up for moonclips in IDPA I'm told.

You must remeber the old Dade loaders.

Bubber - I'm not Gary, but I remember the old Dade loaders. You could almost lose rounds from them if you pulled them out of the pouch too fast. If you drop one, the rounds scatter all over the place. Dade speedloaders are the only piece of shooting equipment I've ever thrown out. Yuk! Phooey! :D

Gary,  Did you get to get some shooting done yet?  Just got back from Tontitown, Arkansas.  Mike Runs a monday night ICORE match.  Only got times on two reloads,  At about 10 to 15 yards 3.05 A zone/10 ring hit on a Bianchi target.  The other was a reload switch to weak hand 3.59, had trouble finding the dot.  A hit in the B zone/8ring brings a 1 second time added so you really have to be on target.  After the match Mike, Fred and I were discussing speedloaders and the IDPA legal holders.  You must remeber the old Dade loaders.  I would think they would be better than the Comp II's and fit in the legal holders.  What are your thoughts?  I am not an IDPA shooter, got no IDPA legal gun except for a couple of 686+'s and no loaders for them.  And you can't set them up for moonclips in IDPA I'm told.

Bubber,

I remember the Dade loaders and as posted I also saw them on Ebay. Problem with them is they drop rounds a little too easy. I bought more Comp I loaders from Ebay also. They come out of Canada and with shipping they were $25 for 10 of them.

I am at 2.5 steady in dry fire but 3.2 on live fire. I am finding my best reloads are with the Safariland Comp I loaders. They have more of a moon clip feel and they are alos what I used to carry back in the day of model 10s in a Jordan holster.

The SL Variant loaders are good also. I have never used Comp III loaders.

I will keep working but right now there is still a foot of snow on the range but the rain tonight may take it away. I do not do well indoors. Makes me caugh for days.

I will be putting this off until after the S&W match on 02-26 as that will be my last SSR match with my 625 and I need to be using moon clips not speed loaders.

Thanks for the input, I will get back to you in March.

As for an IDPA legal SSR revolver, I would buy a heavy barrel model 10. RM VIVAS has a lot of them from NYPD that go for $200 or less. If I did not already had my model 66-1 pair (2.5 & 4") I would go that route.

VIVAS

Gary