Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ85 Combat for Production?

RAZZ

I'd like to hear from someone who is shooting a P-09 for production

I have both the Shadow and a P-09 I shoot in my local USPSA Production Division. Honestly as far as recoil and tracking the front sights on targets I can't tell a lot of difference. Some find the Beavertail on the P-09 to be more comfortable, but I can't say I've noted a difference. If I didn't already own the Shadow and had the P-09 I not sure I could justify buying a Shadow.

How does the grip size compare between them? I run my shadow with CZC thick grips for reference.

I went to buds to play with one and they were out. I'm torn on ordering one or not...... The grip being my main concern.....

Edited by Apexer

Well that was impulsive. I just bought a 75 Shadow off of Gunbroker. What mags should I get? More of the MecGar 16 rounders, or are the 19 round mags easier to reload (I have noticed some people feel a longer magazine is easier to load into the gun at speed)?

I think you made the right choice. 85 is a great gun, but something I forgot to mention, if I'm not mistaken if the magwell on an 85 is the same as a 75B/75BD, then the Shadow has a magwell that is a little more generous than the 85, not huge by any means, but just enough to make reloads a tad bit easier.

Apparently the 75 Shadow does not have a beveled magwell. I guess that's only on the 01. No big deal, though. Per the rule book, it looks like I'd be OK opening it up in USPSA Production Division, but I'm not sure about IPSC. I'm going to the World Shoot, so I'll have to find out.

Apparently the 75 Shadow does not have a beveled magwell. I guess that's only on the 01. No big deal, though. Per the rule book, it looks like I'd be OK opening it up in USPSA Production Division, but I'm not sure about IPSC. I'm going to the World Shoot, so I'll have to find out.

Modifying your gun by opening the magwell would make it illegal for IPSC Production:

1. 16.1 Modifications to them, other than minor detailing (the removal of burrs and/or adjustments unavoidably required in order to fit replacement OFM parts or components), are prohibited. Other prohibited modifications include those which facilitate faster reloading (e.g. flared, enlarged and/or add-on magwells, etc.), changing the original color and/or finish of a handgun, and/or adding stripes or other embellishments.

How does the grip size compare between them? I run my shadow with CZC thick grips for reference.

My P-07's (and the P-09) grip is 1.16" wide. My 75B with VZ grips is 1.20" wide. My 75B with its OEM plastic grips is 1.39" wide.

You can somewhat compensate for the narrower grip by using the medium or large backstrap on the P-07/P-09.

Edited by elguapo

My P-07's (and the P-09) grip is 1.16" wide. My 75B with VZ grips is 1.20" wide. My 75B with its OEM plastic grips is 1.39" wide.

You can somewhat compensate for the narrower grip by using the medium or large backstrap on the P-07/P-09.

Cool, thanks. Although I'm still unsure....

Modifying your gun by opening the magwell would make it illegal for IPSC Production:

1. 16.1 Modifications to them, other than minor detailing (the removal of burrs and/or adjustments unavoidably required in order to fit replacement OFM parts or components), are prohibited. Other prohibited modifications include those which facilitate faster reloading (e.g. flared, enlarged and/or add-on magwells, etc.), changing the original color and/or finish of a handgun, and/or adding stripes or other embellishments.

Thank you very much for finding that.

Cool, thanks. Although I'm still unsure....

Somethings you just have to feel for yourself so check back with Buds now and then so you can decide for yourself. Maybe we could meet up at the GSSF Match at Bluegrass next month where you could handle my P-09 if that would help.