Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gold Custom setup?

bayougump

Hey guys, I want to get your advice on what to run in a Tanfo open gun. I know plenty about Production setups. My gold custom already has the Henning flat trigger installed. Are y'all running the Henning SÃO XL firing pin? What recoil and hammer spring weights? What about hammers? Thanks in advance

Gump

I don't know, I have a tackle box of springs and I just grab one, bend it to see how it feels and stick it in! :eatdrink:

I made some notes about coil diameters and spring weights, maybe some day I'll sort them out...

I'm pretty sure most of what I have is 18# hammer springs and 10-12# recoil springs; I've gone as low as 8# on the recoil spring and it feels pretty good.

gump. I tend to agree with atlas that on a SAO gun you can run a heaver hammer spring in order to get crisper trigger break AND most importantly reliable ignition. especially if using rifle primers.

I think the stock spring is a 18lb. mine still has the stock spring. the one downside to this is that the hammer spring does affect the recoil characteristics too. the slide has to push the hammer back against that spring. I'd suggest a 15 is a pretty good compromise and assuming it's reliable it's what I'll be running.

I'm not sure henning makes the SAO pin anymore. I think he just does one pin that can work with or without the FPB so it suits all guns. either henning or extreme pin should be worthwhile.

All I've ever used is Fed small pistol primers. Why would one use rifle primers instead of pistol? I'm ignorant to the subject. I plan on running heavier setup than my Stock II and it'll be nice to not use my Fed primers for open gun

People use rifle primers because they're designed to handle higher pressures, also some claim to get higher velocities from them because they're supposedly hotter and make for a more complete burn.

I started loading 9 major with rifle primers then switched to pistol when I started to run low; I saw no detectable difference in velocity, nor an appreciable difference in the 'flatness' of my primers so I won't be buying any more rifle primers for pistols. The only real difference I saw was that the rifle primers are significantly harder to light off and with a 15# hammer spring in my CZ I was getting light strikes like crazy.

My other concern with rifle primers is gas cutting of the breech face. If you look at high mileage Open guns they usually have a primer sized ring eroded into the breech face; this is due to gas escaping the case around the primer, I can only imagine softer, more malleable primers do a better job of sealing the primer pocket.

So for me I load 9 major with whatever pistol primers I have on hand and I have found I can help out new Production shooters by trading my Federal primers for their Winchester or CCI primers :cheers:

Why would one use rifle primers instead of pistol? I

Another reason is if you shoot 9mm, .40, and .223, you can buy one primer for all your loads. A lot of 3-gunners do that. I don't like the hard cup of the rifle primers myself.

After bringing my new open gun to 2 different gunsmiths and a machine shop I finally got the broken screw out of my grip myself. Put on a different pair of grips and the screws twisted right on in so the threads are still intact, ( least it seems so, fingers crossed). Now after I load 1500 rounds of 9mm this week, I'll throw the 38 super setup on my Dillon and start experimenting with some loads using 7625 and autocomp, should be fun, lol

I recently switched from fed spp to fed srp for my 38 super major loads.

They are a little harder. I did gain a handful of fps when tested back to back with spp. What I did get is less unburnt powder everywhere. So it seems to help igniting the larger charges.

One more thing fed spp can be hard to get. So using the srp in the open gun works for me. :)

I am sure their is a thread somewhere but hard to search on phone. What holster is anyone running with their gold custom? I ordered a Ghost and it just seems the trigger guard too wide. Seems that I read that some use the DAA with no problems or fitting issues. I could be wrong though. Please let me know what y'all are running and how it's going for you. Thanks

Gump

Racemaster is just OK with the old style locking block. They fit pretty tight at first, then they loosen up quick. Gun flops around a lot. Supposedly the new magnetic locking block is much better. I need to get one and find out.

• 3 weeks later...