Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

info on sierra match king bullet crimp

chopps

Looking for some suggestions or what some of you all are crimping a .224 69 gr hpbt bullet at ?

I found all the other info I need but that spec escapes me.

Just want some info to start with thanks for the help considering I have never loaded rifle cartridges before and just loaded pistol till now.

Time to graduate.

BUT, check the case neck tension to make sure that you are getting proper resizing, not belling the mouth too far etc. I have known of a few guys blowing cases and primers...turns out that they were deep seating bullets upon chambering.

I use a Lee FCD on the 55 fmjs, just a touch, for some insurance.

Putting a crimp into a bullet with a crimp grove is much less likely to hurt accuracy as there is already a notch in there. A crimp into a bullet w. a crimp grove will increase pressure ever so slightly and possibly save bullet set back IF you slam a loaded round into a case stuck in the chamber, preventing a rifle full of powder. Crimping into a matchking bullet WITHOUT a crimp grove is another story as match bullets have much thinner jackets. Crimping into an otherwise good bullet will hurt accuracy and BC and there is no reason to do it that I can think of unless you are shooting lead bullets. If your bullets are getting seated deeper when they are going into the chamber crimp will not help; whats happening is the throat is too short and its setting the bullet back or you have some alignment or ammo length issue that's causing the bullet to bang into the feed ramps or barrel on the way into the chamber. If rounds are loaded too long they can also hang up on the front of the magazine, tip down and the bolt carrier will press the bullet tip into the magazine and the bullet into the case.