Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

223 rings on brass?

Artsville

• 2 weeks later...

I have found marks on some of my rounds in the same general location as illustrated in your pictures. In my case, I was able to wipe them off without too much trouble. They went away after I cleaned the oil/crud residue out of the sizing die (Dillon). The upper right photo appears to show some metal flow, however, and you probably won't be able to wipe that out!

They are actually rings. No cleaning off is possible. I loaded about 500 and about 20 or so have these marks. All same batch of brass. All LC as well.

I'm hesitant to change my oal 2.233 as I have rifle and prismatic all dialed in. Is there any positive to centering cannelure? I was taught it didn't matter especially as I barely crimp any way.

I will clean the dies and keep my eyes open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to forward the pics to see if someone else has seen this problem.

Maybe I'm imagining it, but the shoulder to neck transition radius seems larger than normal.

Tell us about your case prep and die set-up. Are you gaging these loaded rounds to make sure head space is correct?

Of course no one will be able to definitively diagnose the problem but you.

What machine are you using?

You might have to load some more to see at what station this is happening.

My wag is the cases neck stretched during the previous firing, and your powder drop die is screwed down just a little too far and that is where the top of the case wrinkle is occurring.

Edited by RonofVa

One answer might be that the brass wasn't trimmed and the case mouth was running into the die, bulging the case body at the shoulder. Another thought I had was that some of the brass might be "range brass" that had been sized to 20 Tactical. If 20Tac is resized with a 223 die, it wouldn't touch the shoulder (leading to the rounded shoulder to neck transition area) and it would squeeze the case body about .005 or .006" right where the rings are appearing.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ok...just sorted my brass from the last match....I compared my remaining reloads in my bag and the rings are not there but everyone of my shot brass has this ring.......guess I am gonna have to pull my upper apart and figure it out....

Anyone have an ideas.....

• 2 weeks later...