Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tips for better metering of WST?

Butterpuc

I like using WST in my 45 loads, but it seems to be a little sporadic over the chrono. My standard deviations are generally double that if Titegroup and more than double compared to VV.

I normally take a 10 drop measurement multiple times to check my powder charge before loading to make sure it is correct. It always comes out the same. But I wondering if the individual powder drops are varying.

The chrono results generally show a SD of ~14, with an average 172PF. The low is ~167PF and the high is ~177PF. Am I being a little to picky, with TG and VV it is better than this.

I haven't really noticed this problem metering WST, but it is a "sticky" powder in that it seems to be far more susceptible to static cling than any of the other pistol powders I use. Have you tried rubbing the outside of the powder hopper with a fabric softener sheet?

I haven't really noticed this problem metering WST, but it is a "sticky" powder in that it seems to be far more susceptible to static cling than any of the other pistol powders I use. Have you tried rubbing the outside of the powder hopper with a fabric softener sheet?

I have the exact same issue with Ramshot Competition. It seems very statically sticky (if that's a term) in my Dillon powder measure. I gonna try your fabric softener sheet idea tonight.

I use both Ramshot Competition and WST, in my experience when working up loads I weigh each charge so I can take that variable out of the equation. Both powders meter very well for me usually less than 0.1 variation. I have used WST for 9mm, 40, & 45 in the 45 I get wide Extreme spreads but not in the 9 & 40. I think it may have something to do with the cartridge operating pressure. My 9mm and 40 loads have SDs in the 8-12 range and ES of around 30 but in the 45 ES runs 70-80. As far as the powder being sticky I have seen it stick to the walls of the powder measure but not much and like I said my drops are very consistent.

I like WST, but never cared for how it metered in my LNL. It's a light flake, and sometimes drops inconsistently. I've tried just about every trick I could find. What seems to work the best for consistent drops are: keep the hopper full, move the baffle up so it's about 1/4" from the bottom of the tube, leave the powder in the measure. I still have not tried fixing a fish tank air pump to the powder tube. That is next.