Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited vs Limited 10

bosoxfan21

My original thought was why someone would shoot L10 instead of Limited. I hadn't thought about states that don't allow more than 10 rds and guns that hold less. Makes sense to me.

Yup. I got my STI Eagle after our idiotic ban went into effect so I couldn't get any mags over 10 rounds but I still wanted to shoot it in USPSA so hello Limited 10. When I move out of state I will shoot Limited as well with it. I have a Glock 35 I have 20 round mags for and can run it in Limited but I like shooting the Eagle more. Recently got a Trojan so I can shoot Single Stack as well.

My favorite thing about L10 is that I can use a major .45 and I'm not handicapped by magazine capacity over the .40's.

I remember when we started the L10 division. At the time, I was competing in Limited with a single-stack 1911 and 10-round magazines, like a lot of people. Once Limited really started to get gamed with .38's, we were pretty much out of it.

L10 is actually a good division. Makes you think a little more (planning reloads), and there aren't too many people, myself included, who wouldn't benefit from some more reloading practice. Plus if your carry or duty weapon is a .40, you're probably more competitive in L10 than against all the 9mm's in Production.

Minor 40 loads can be competitive in production - no big disadvantage there IMO.

no disadvantage at all imho, however.... it's a reasonable point that if you carry a .40 for work or personal protection, why would you want to practice and compete with a sissy load? especially if your agency will supply duty ammo for you to train/compete with?

Also shooting major vs minor is very different in terms of the precision you need to have. Some people prefer to take the extra focus to shoot alphas, some prefer to spend that focus on movement.

Edited by motosapiens

It would be interesting to see times of one shooter, using same gun with different capacity mags, in L and L-10. Think this would be more indicative of differences in the two classes.

You can almost do that if you look at the scores from nationals last year. Many (most?) of the top limited shooters also shot L10. Admittedly, the stages were tweaked very slightly, but the difference was pretty minimal, an extra no-shoot here or there, a target moved a few feet to be visible from another position, etc....