Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 cal with RED DOT

cwmax2000

Yep, I want to start loading 40 cal and I want to use Red Dot. I have xtreme plated 180 gr RNFP bullets and CCI SPP. Looking for load data. Will be shooting a S&W M&P 40. So any help you can give will be appreciated....Cmax B)

4.1gn for about 924fps and max of 4.4gn for 969fps. Checking another source shows 4.5gn for 899fps and max of 5.0gn for 980fps. Both sources appear to take a starting load as simply a ~10% drop in the max charge weight.

As you can see, this is not a good general-purpose .40S&W powder as there is no room for error.

However, it might be excellent if you are shooting minor and drop below the starting load. This may/will require a lighter recoil spring. The good thing is that I have never had any sudden large pressure increases or pressure spikes with Red Dot--pressure and velocity tend to be linear all the way up to max.

4.1gn for about 924fps and max of 4.4gn for 969fps. Checking another source shows 4.5gn for 899fps and max of 5.0gn for 980fps. Both sources appear to take a starting load as simply a ~10% drop in the max charge weight.

As you can see, this is not a good general-purpose .40S&W powder as there is no room for error.

However, it might be excellent if you are shooting minor and drop below the starting load. This may/will require a lighter recoil spring. The good thing is that I have never had any sudden large pressure increases or pressure spikes with Red Dot--pressure and velocity tend to be linear all the way up to max.

Yeah, same experience I have seen so far. I came upon Red Dot from a great deal earlier this year. I have loaded 380, 9mm, 38, 45acp... with it so far with great results. Some people slammed it others said it was one of the best overall powders period...Only negative issue That I agree with is it is a little more difficult to meter....I think I start at 4.0 and work up .2 increments to 4.6 grains....I'll chronograph them and see what we get. Thanks for your response.......Cmax B)

Edited by cwmax2000

I'm using it for 200gr bullets, but I'm not pushing them to major (at least not yet). It will function a stock Glock 22 down to 2.5 grains of Red Dot, and I've loaded as high as 3.8 but I'm not sure of the velocity.

I'm using it for 200gr bullets, but I'm not pushing them to major (at least not yet). It will function a stock Glock 22 down to 2.5 grains of Red Dot, and I've loaded as high as 3.8 but I'm not sure of the velocity.

Hi AJE,

I see you did get on the Red Dot wagon.....I'll load some lower weight charges and chronograph them and get you the velocities (all I have are 180 grain though)....thanks again for the info you sent me a while back.....Cmax :bow:

I'll get around to it eventually, I do have a chrono, and really no excuse for not shooting some of the loads over it at this point.

Part of the reason I haven't is that I was loading them for GSSF matches, not USPSA, so I wasn't concerned with a power factor. Now I'm curious how close I am to major.

I just got some, looked in the manual, and loaded up a few at 4.45 gr and a few at 4.6 gr (using 180gr xtreme plated FP).

I got 172 pf for the 4.45 and 175 pf for 4.6 out of a cz tac sport. They shoot pretty nice.

Seems like plenty of room for error to me. Even the lee manual lists a max of 5.0 grains with a 180gr jacketed bullet.

I just got some, looked in the manual, and loaded up a few at 4.45 gr and a few at 4.6 gr (using 180gr xtreme plated FP).

I got 172 pf for the 4.45 and 175 pf for 4.6 out of a cz tac sport. They shoot pretty nice.

Seems like plenty of room for error to me. Even the lee manual lists a max of 5.0 grains with a 180gr jacketed bullet.

Cool, so that's about 955 fps for 4.45 grains and 972 fps for 4.6 fps......anyone know avg target grade factory velocities? Thanks for the post Moto