Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versa Max Competition - Magazine Tube Disassembly?

M8Stealth

Tearing down the VMCT for the first time and looking for tips on how to remove the magazine tube from the receiver. The two socket head cap screws on either side of the tube appear to be welded/soldered and unable to be turned out of the receiver.

Related note, how does one remove the spring and follower?

post-55388-0-20932400-1409104993_thumb.j

You shouldn't need to take the screws you're talking about out, the tube is just screwed in to the receiver with a thread locker (unless there is some way of attaching that is different from a standard Versamax). There's really no reason I can see to take the mag tube out at all for routine cleaning/maintenance. As far as the spring and follower, I have no idea how you got it disassembled as far as you did and didn't dump out the spring. All that is required is to unscrew the short (carbon fiber) extension and dump the spring and follower out of the front of the tube.

Unscrewed the magazine cap, slid the carbon fiber tube off and then the barrel.

There's a retainer in the muzzle end of the mag tube that doesn't appear to want to move in any direction that is keeping the spring inside the mag tube.

post-55388-0-70779300-1409107550_thumb.j

There is no reason tp take the entire tube off unless you are changing to a versatube. But as previously mentioned just use a flat head and work it back and forth be careful wear safety glasses and hold you thumb over the cap to prevent sending it into orbit.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Would like to replace the 8 round tube with a solid one piece 10 or 11 carbon but Mark doesn't make one. =(

The reason for taking it apart for cleaning and a color change. The Remmy green is going away.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Would like to replace the 8 round tube with a solid one piece 10 or 11 carbon but Mark doesn't make one. =(

The reason for taking it apart for cleaning and a color change. The Remmy green is going away.

Put on a Nordic mxt extension. You can go as few as +2 to as long a tube as you want to run.

Edited by JPeel

Is a 12rd on the stock barrel too long to use a diffusion choke without ruining the gun? Stock spring work with 12?

12 round tube is fine with any choke using the 22" stock barrel. For a spring, I get the Nordic spring and stuff the whole thing in there(don't cut any off). The springs are so cheap I always replace mine before a major match- not really necessary but it's an easy way to avoid many common malfunctions.