Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

evolution hammer ?

Revofan

The reduced power spring, in my opinion, is more critical than the pin itself. The falling hammer has to overcome that spring. The apex spring is just enough to reurn the firing pin, nothing more.

I believe apex is the only company making a spring other than s&w.

It seems from my experience that the apex spring outlasted the ones I got from Smith and Wesson. For good return and reliable ignition I would look for a trigger pull just under 6lbs.

Agreed. A 4# double-action is going to have sluggish rebound and spotty ignition reliability. You can only take them down so far.

Is this a near drop-in part now that it comes with the sear, pins, etc. preassembled?

It comes pre-assembled, but will most likely require some sear fitment.

It did need a little polishing on the bottom edge of the sear, but that was it. It feels really nice. I don't have a trigger pull gauge, but it lights off Federal primers at 100% and Winchesters about 90%. It's a sweet upgrade, and I still have the OEM hammer if I ever need it.

gauged my my 627 v-comp and 627 pc and just out of curiosity my 617 and they all were and average of 7lb 8oz 100% reliability with fed primers my revosmith is on vaca till this weekend imgoing to try and get the 627pc to him next week some time to drop in the hammer then ill check again and post results

Everybody needs to understand something here.

Dropping in a Randy hammer (or Carmonized hammer) will not make the action significantly lighter, in and of itself. Simply dropping it in--you will not feel the difference. You will need to adjust the spring tensions downward to make the DA pull lighter. A lightened hammer will allow you to adjust the mainspring tension down a little further, and still retain ignition reliability, than a stock hammer will. This is due to the snappier lock time, which is more efficient for crushing the primer cups.