Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for a pump gun...Nova?

WS6

I am not necessarily looking for a gun for 3-gun, but I want a gun that would be good for all the things 3 gun demands (speed and ease of use, reliability over high volumes of fire, etc.).

I want a pump gun so I can use it for reduced-recoil 8-pellet loads that won't function in some autoloaders. My M1014 stops at 9-pellet reduced recoil, and that is cycled somewhat weakly. I also want a pump gun because getting soaked with rain and unable to clean it immediately just kindof bothers me on a $1K+ autoloader, as well as just personally enjoying a good pump action shotgun...just because?

I have looked at the 870P, but have heard (and seen personally) that Remington's 870 line is somewhat reduced in quality compared to years gone by. I am not interested in an 870.

The Mossberg 590a1's I have seen in person are all broken from the start. I have only seen 2, but 2 out of 2 were abject duds. One was an SPX 590a1 that I bought for a friend for Christmas, and the mag-tube threads were so buggered that it takes literally 5-10 minutes to put the mag cap back on unless you "get lucky" and place it just so. You have to force it down on the threads 1/4", and then not crossthread the buggered threads. It was like that when I bought it, not "after a few shooting trips..." The second is a 590a1 I looked at today, with the short stock. It was completely missing the end-cap retaining "BB". Just a vacant hole in the barrel hanger ring. Piss poor QC/QA for Mossberg has turned me off to their products, based on my admittedly LIMITED experience.

I did look at 2 Nova's by Benelli today, as well. They had all their parts and seemed to function fine as far as one can test function at Bass Pro. I am also a fan of Benelli, because of the use of chrome-lined hammer forged barrels. SO much easier to clean for me after shooting a bunch of slugs.

So, my questions are:

Is the Supernova preferred over the Nova, even if the end-user has no preference for the style of stock either way? Why/why not?

Are the Nova family reliable over high volumes of fire (the Benelli autoloaders are presumed "just broken in" at 100K+ rounds. Does the Nova family match this?) Do they go down more or less often in practice of matches than other competitors, and how do they directly compare to the Benelli M1 and M2 family for high-volume reliability/parts breakage?

Any other info on the Nova family would be appreciated! I am looking at the 18.5" w/GRS version of the Nova or Supernova. Like I said, not planning any 3-gun with it, but I know some people in 3-gun like them and I think 3-gun is an excellent "test bed" for a weapon.

Thank-you again!

You won't find a better pump on the market than the supernova. I have a couple thousand rounds through sn tactical and haven't had a single issue. You just need to train with it to avoid short stroking it because of the 3.5in shell capabilities. It's my hd, sporting clay and everything in between gun. If you compair features it's really a no brainer.

Edited by gumby510

I like my Supernova Tactical for many of the same reasons you want to look at Benelli. I changed the stock to the Mesa Tactical, much shorter, and with the Nordic extension, it is 7+1. With the Mesa stock and 18.5 barrel, it is pretty compact. Actually my M2 Tac is setup identical.

post-2169-0-92469200-1408711479_thumb.jp

I like my Supernova Tactical for many of the same reasons you want to look at Benelli. I changed the stock to the Mesa Tactical, much shorter, and with the Nordic extension, it is 7+1. With the Mesa stock and 18.5 barrel, it is pretty compact. Actually my M2 Tac is setup identical.

Looks good!

I have been doing some googling, and found one post from a moderator on another forum stating that the Nova's had had some polymer/shell-frame separation issues in the past, but it was never elaborated on. Has the Supernova ever had this issue, or was it exposed/diagnosed/fixed/bad batch, or what?

Further, have read of several people "improving firing pin travel" to fix issues with light strikes. What's up with that?

Also, one thing that keeps cropping up is I find people complaining that when they work the action the first round shoots out onto the ground because the shell-lifter is not in the correct location. This spawned "The Benelli Trigger Fix" videos all over YouTube, it seems, once I searched YouTube using that phrase. Is this something I should worry about?

Another thing...I don't like things touching the barrel. Is the clamp on that extension necessary? I wanted the +2 or +3, nothing past the muzzle. Still needed for such a short piece?

Other than the alleged trigger/action issues, and polyer separation, and light-strikes, I have not seen anything undesireable on the old Google.

One more thing...I held and looked at a few Nova and Supernova tacticals at Bass Pro, and the barrels (near the muzzle, as that's all I could really see to gauge) looked very thin-walled. Am I just used to my Benelli M1014, and are these the wall thickness of 870P and 590 non-A1 models, or are they legitimately "thin"?

Would firing stuff like Dixie Slugs and 3" Brenneke Gold slugs and other heavy stuff through them be a no-no?

I've been running the SuperNova heavily for a few years now. Mine has been 100% reliable and it is my least expensive, most versatile and favorite gun I own.

There are a few really big advantages the S Nova brings to the table. 1. There isn't another tube fed shotgun which loads faster or smoother than a S Nova. 2. The polymer frame and comfortech stock absorb a lot of recoil, making it fhe softest kicking pump gun on the market. 3. The designed modularity makes this gun really easy to break down and keep clean.

I run a 24" with a Nordic extension for 10+1 total capacity. My S Nova is commonly seen in my hands at 3gun, 5 stand, sporting clays, skeet and trap. I've used mine for hunting upland birds and for ducks. It comes with sling adapters and would work jim dandy for home defense (although I've never had to use mine in that capacity).

When you get your S Nova, you'll find that the action feels a little stiff. Just polish up the action bars, the bolt, extractor and extractor groove on the barrel. Grease the action bars and bolt guides and it will be like butter. You do not need a barrel clamp on the magazine extension. On the Nova it just causes problems and provides no real benefit.

One more thing...I held and looked at a few Nova and Supernova tacticals at Bass Pro, and the barrels (near the muzzle, as that's all I could really see to gauge) looked very thin-walled. Am I just used to my Benelli M1014, and are these the wall thickness of 870P and 590 non-A1 models, or are they legitimately "thin"?

Would firing stuff like Dixie Slugs and 3" Brenneke Gold slugs and other heavy stuff through them be a no-no?

You should have no issues with heavy slug loads other then to your shoulder.

And I would offer that the Benelli Super Nova is a great pumpgun choice!

p740639730-4.jpg

You should have no issues with heavy slug loads other then to your shoulder.

And I would offer that the Benelli Super Nova is a great pumpgun choice!

p740639730-4.jpg

Hah! Yours was one of the HK VP9 reviews I saw a while back! Good shooting! If it works for you, I highly doubt I will ever "outgrow it"!

How many rounds have you had through your Nova? I keep remembering all of those Benelli commercial/ads with the Argentinian dove-hunts and the M1 and how many rounds they lasted. Are the Nova's capable of dizzying numbers like that, or not so much?

I don't think one could wear it out! I am not a high volume shooter (can't afford it, nor do I have the time) but the one pictured has 5K on it.

Steel on Steel lock up between the bolt and barrel.

The action bars are very tough.

The barrel is not a light contour (although not overweight like some Mooseburgers)

IF you did wear one out...you would be a world champ and you will be getting your guns for free!

I don't think one could wear it out! I am not a high volume shooter (can't afford it, nor do I have the time) but the one pictured has 5K on it.

Steel on Steel lock up between the bolt and barrel.

The action bars are very tough.

The barrel is not a light contour (although not overweight like some Mooseburgers)

IF you did wear one out...you would be a world champ and you will be getting your guns for free!

Solid. I don't think you have to worry about me challenging you at any matches any time soon.

How is the barrel/receiver lock-up? Is it steel on steel and tight? I notice the pictures of barrel tangs I see on replacement barrels are not as long as the autoloaders. Interested in this mainly for regarding slug accuracy. I would like minute of palm at 50 yards and minute of paper-plate at 100 yards with slugs it likes.

Also, all the plastic coating...does the bolt/carrier/rails ride on polymer coated steel, or directly on steel itself within the receiver? Reason I ask, is I recall horror stories (rumors?) of the Remington 887 wearing through the polymer or allowing moisture under it and creating a rust nightmare if you get it wet.

Edited by WS6

Without laboring over every possible question (I am at work) I use the Benelli Super Nova because it is the finest pumpgun i have ever used!

I own and have competed with the 870, BPS, Win 1300, M500, M590, M12, M97. My favorite pump was the Win1300 (still love it) but the Super Nova is

the best shooting pumpgun in my collection.

Barrel extension is short on nearly ALL pumpguns because the ejector is mounted to the frame.

Minute of palm is well within the Benelli's abilities.

You will (if neglected) rust Benelli barrel exteriors, but that's about all.

Without laboring over every possible question (I am at work) I use the Benelli Super Nova because it is the finest pumpgun i have ever used!

I own and have competed with the 870, BPS, Win 1300, M500, M590, M12, M97. My favorite pump was the Win1300 (still love it) but the Super Nova is

the best shooting pumpgun in my collection.

Barrel extension is short on nearly ALL pumpguns because the ejector is mounted to the frame.

Minute of palm is well within the Benelli's abilities.

You will (if neglected) rust Benelli barrel exteriors, but that's about all.

Thanks!

Seems like this is the one I need.

I'd like to put night sights, a limbsaver recoil pad (I plan on the PG stock, I just prefer them, as it allows easier 1-handed use inextremis. I used to not look at or think about 1-handed use until I began training more seriously with the M4 carbine and Kyle Lamb and hearing from friends of my own who have had or seen someone injur a hand and need to run a gun 1 handed. The field stock is not nearly as good for that. Hence no comfortech stock for me, it seems.), and a +2 extension from Nordic on it (I want it just shy of the end of the barrel, I think +2 is all I can get). I plan on using a Benelli M4 7-shot mag-tube spring I have as it will have a similar length tube, so why not? I have a spare from when I orderd the tube for my M4, and it's custom made by Wolff upon request for a 7-shot tube, and the Nordic follower specific to this application.

I know in some pump guns, the magazine spring is an item that is finicky. It cannot be too weak, OR too strong. Is the Nova picky about this, or is stronger just fine as long as you have room for the shells?

Make sure to pick up and hold both the Nova and Super before picking. The Nova has a thinner receiver and felt better in my hands compared to the Super. The safety and forearm release level are in places easier to manipulate as well (my opinion) . You said Comfortech wasn't a selling point but if it was you can buy that pad and put it on the Nova as well.

I did want to ask though...the 870P...I have a friend who is swat and also hosts a lot of training courses. He swears by the 870p. Will the Nova run with it for fit/finish, reliability, and last as many rounds without broken parts?

The nova will run with the 870p without a problem. The 870 has been around much longer so it has the track record but the nova is just as reliable and has better fit and finish. The mesa stock was just fine when I ran it, but for me it just didn't have the right look.

I didn't care for the look of the supernova c-stock and I've always loved the look of the m4 c-stock. I thought the supernova would look perfect with the m4 c-stock. So I bought a 2 position m4 stock tube (it screws into the supernova receiver without modification) and then for proper fit I had to carefully grind on the m4 grip and sn trigger assembly so I could get the trigger assembly back in. Then I added a third notch to the tube for a lop that was perfect for me.

If you like the looks of the factory c-stock for the supernova, that route is much cheaper and easier to do and the factory sn tube is a 5 position.

The nova will run with the 870p without a problem. The 870 has been around much longer so it has the track record but the nova is just as reliable and has better fit and finish. The mesa stock was just fine when I ran it, but for me it just didn't have the right look.

I didn't care for the look of the supernova c-stock and I've always loved the look of the m4 c-stock. I thought the supernova would look perfect with the m4 c-stock. So I bought a 2 position m4 stock tube (it screws into the supernova receiver without modification) and then for proper fit I had to carefully grind on the m4 grip and sn trigger assembly so I could get the trigger assembly back in. Then I added a third notch to the tube for a lop that was perfect for me.

If you like the looks of the factory c-stock for the supernova, that route is much cheaper and easier to do and the factory sn tube is a 5 position.

I'm not sure what route to take, but I feel a PG style stock will offer me more control over the weapon in unconventional shooting positions as well as shooting from low-ready. Maybe it's just because I like the AR platform so much.

I wonder if there are any Nova/Supernova's out there with 100K rounds without any breakages. I did find this, and it seems kindof dismal compared to other shotguns out there:

We use Benelli Supernova shotguns in our club. That is very good shotgun for competitions. It is reliable and enables you to load it fast.

We have found out that hammer spring and hammer spring cap should be replaced after 5000-10000 of rounds due to light primer strikes. This problem was found on two shotguns.

Advice: always store your Benelli Supernova shotgun with hammer down, this will prolong the life of the hammer spring and hammer spring cap.

Another parts which you MUST have are: extractor and ejector. You will need to replace them after about 10000-15000 rounds. Double feeds are also common problem after that number of shots. We haven’t found reliable solution for that problem yet but it may help replacing left and right shell latches.

http://www.rem870.com/2013/11/26/benelli-supernova-or-nova-must-have-repair-kit/

You're looking for a $500 gun that will run for 100k rds without any maintenance? Doesn't exist. But I can tell you that guns with twist bolt lock up will outlast tilt bolt guns by 500%. That means, Nova and 1300 will inherently last longer than M500 and 870. Replacing a spring every 5000 rds is periodic maintenance. I've been running my Nova hard for 3yrs. I probably only have about 7k through it now.

You've gotten input from some of the best pump gun runners in 3gun. They all said the same thing. SuperNova.

You're looking for a $500 gun that will run for 100k rds without any maintenance? Doesn't exist. But I can tell you that guns with twist bolt lock up will outlast tilt bolt guns by 500%. That means, Nova and 1300 will inherently last longer than M500 and 870. Replacing a spring every 5000 rds is periodic maintenance. I've been running my Nova hard for 3yrs. I probably only have about 7k through it now.

You've gotten input from some of the best pump gun runners in 3gun. They all said the same thing. SuperNova.

Maintenance is fine. It bothered me about the double feeds that could not be fixed was all, at least that was what was implied even though she'll stop replacement was hinted at.

Supernova it will be. Was just curious what came out of spec so much at 15k.

Now I am looking for support gear:

-Night sights (I have them on all my weapons that I don't run an RDS on), only MAKO/Meprolite makes them.

-Magazine extension...I am torn on GG&G and Nordic. The GG&G boasts a steel nut. Yet the Nordic has some huge supporting fan-group. I want to run a +2, slightly shorter than my barrel. I do not want to run a mag clamp. Will the Nordic back off in a few hundred rounds of slugs? Must it be checked periodically for reliability sake, or just as it's a good habit? Also, how critical is spring tension for the mag? I plan on just running a Benelli M4 7-shot custom spring rather than trimming on something until I guestimate that it's right for 7 shots. The Nordic follower seems the no-brainer option, here.

-Stock...I like the OEM Steadygrip stock as to how it feels in the store. Throw a Limbsaver pad on there. Is this a bad move, is the Comfortech really so super awesome that I should give up the PG feature? I am just more comfortable with a PG stock as I shoot AR's mainly.

That's about it. I just want a simple, robust setup.

Edited by WS6

I have the tritium meprolite rear ghost ring sight that I added a small amount of white sight paint for better visibility and I custom made a fiber optic tritium front sight (seeing how I use this shotgun for hd and sporting clays).

I run a custom Nordic extension and have a plastic clamp just as extra insurance. It's never come loose.

I run the low drag Nordic follower, and a wolf mag tube spring that I trimmed 9in past, haven't had a issue yet. Though the m4 spring is a good idea.

I wouldn't get rid of the pg. If that's what feels good stick with it. It's about personal feel and preference and doing what's best for you. Throw a limbsaver on and call it good. After listening to everyone here about how the field stock was so much better and faster I tried it and it may have been "faster" but for me it wasn't better. My wrist was not a fan and I tried multiple lop to try to correct it. So now I run the m4 c-stock and I have no issues.

Edited by gumby510

I have the tritium meprolite rear ghost ring sight that I added a small amount of white sight paint for better visibility and I custom made a fiber optic tritium front sight (seeing how I use this shotgun for hd and sporting clays).

I run a custom Nordic extension and have a plastic clamp just as extra insurance. It's never come loose.

I run the low drag Nordic follower, and a wolf mag tube spring that I trimmed 9in past, haven't had a issue yet. Though the m4 spring is a good idea.

I wouldn't get rid of the pg. If that's what feels good stick with it. It's about personal feel and preference and doing what's best for you. Throw a limbsaver on and call it good. After listening to everyone here about how the field stock was so much better and faster I tried it and it may have been "faster" but for me it wasn't better. My wrist was not a fan and I tried multiple lop to try to correct it. So now I run the m4 c-stock and I have no issues.

Thanks for the input! I kindof wish...and I know it may be seen as nitpicky...that the shotgun could be field-stripped without such pain with the PG stock.

To properly field-strip it, you now need a socket wrench, and a new nut each time. The nuts used are nylock lock-nuts, and those are 1-time use, I believe, in any other industry. So each time the FCG is removed, you are out $3.99, presuming you are maintianing it to what I would consider proper mechanical standards (replacing a 1-time use nut). Maybe I'm incorrect and they changed this/it's NOT 1-time use anymore? I know the nut on the front sight of the M4 uses the same nylock system, and is 1-time only.

I keep coming back to the Benelli Nova instead of the Supernova (in light of the pain the arse that the PG stock makes the Supernova to take down to field-stripped. Might as well stick with the field stock). Maybe it's the trigger guard.

Other than comfortech, does the Supernova offer any advantage over the Nova? I plan on throwing a limbsaver pad on whatever I get, anyway.

Is the Supernova subject to an improved moulding/internal frame design or process? Is it "slicker" to work? Does it have some upgraded formula polymer like the Gen 3 PMAG vs the Gen 2 PMAG? Does it "rattle less" like I have read some people say? You get the drift...

Edited by WS6